Sunday, June 17, 2007

My First Adults Camp!

Just came back from my first ever Adults church camp. Was joking with Alan about the camp having "adult content"... 'cos it's full of adults! :P

Impartations from the Camp
Think one of the most important things that I captured from the camp - if I forget everything else - is that the Word of God is ESSENTIAL to living a thriving Christian life in the long haul, over the next 40 years or if Jesus returns again before that. :)

One of the teachings that really impressed a lot of us was the one on different spiritual pathways - how we experience God in various ways e.g. relational, intellectual, contemplative, activistic, creation, serving or worship. We were talking about that a lot, and it was a good time of discovering more about one another as a community. (My pathway's the contemplative type - I really experience God very strongly through contemplating on God's Word and times of solitude in prayer. But I also feel closer to God through relationships, worship and sometimes, when I see beautiful skies and open spaces.) A note though: These pathways are meant to help us draw closer to the God of the Bible, not a different god of our imagination... so if I contemplate, it should be on God's Word, not my own ideas and reasoning, which can be different from Scripture.

And also, we did a character study on Daniel in the Old Testament, who was not only a prophet, but also a prime minister through four ungodly kingdoms - and yet shone and excelled through all these kingdoms. It was a very, very inspiring teaching, and made me feel very eager to go back to my workplace, and make sure I do my very best for Christ in whatever I do, whether it be work or ministry or family. Because we Christians, even though we are definitely a minority, must be salt and light in the workplace, and we must claim God's promise that He will make us the head and not the tail in the workplace... to influence managers and leaders... the people of God must arise and shine for Him wherever they are, and wisdom and tact to handle ethically compromising situations... so that the Gospel of God can be shown to be real and powerful!

So much more, but was very inspired and encouraged to impact my workplace for Christ! :) Hee... oh yeah, want to add, when I responded to the altar call, God spoke a prophecy to me... that I need to grow in a deeper relationship with Him, so that He can use me even more... think it's v timely because have been feeling a bit far from him lately. Can sense the difference in me, sadly. :( But was uplifted when I reflected about it, 'cos realised that God has promised to use me, when I draw nearer to Him. How exciting! :D Hee... can't wait to draw nearer and nearer to Him!

Also, Ps Simon Eng told us, during the "Twin Towers of Our Calling" teaching, that we need to pray in the Spirit more and longer, because praying in the Spirit has very real and tangible effect on us. For He has been given unto us, so that we may be empowered to preach the Gospel powerfully and effectively! Amen!

Fellowship
And yeah, it was a good time of fellowship with my CG, esp Huaqiang and Shawn (my "roomie", as Samantha puts it). And a very memorable experience about the bathtub that I helped to fill up for Shawn... and that almost turned Shawn into "bak kut teh". :P But really blessed by Shawn. Think he's someone who has really great potential to be a powerful and effective leader for God if he's discipled well. =)

And renewed and reminded by God on the basics. Really, really renewed. Especially to have a soft and tender heart towards God's Word. Too much to write at the moment. But suffice to say that God has heard my prayers and He answered me wisely, through prophecies and the teachings.

And got to know Jiansheng, one of the new bros, more - really thank God for him. He's a very cool, yet approachable dude. :) And very encouraged by his eager heart to learn more of God's Word. Praise God! :D

Ps Jeff puts it succintly (and he really brought down the roof when he acted as Cinderella... )
The camp was really fun and refreshing. I acted as Cinderella. The Mafia beat the School-Uniformed Kids and the Pirates! Shrek and The Incredibles were at the camp too...

We also got to hear teaching from the Word of God from Pastor Simon Eng (one of our International Elders), Pastor LO and yours truly.

There was truly a great balance of fun, laughter, spiritual refreshment and biblical impartation.


Truly amazing how some of the Adults groups are SUPER-creative... seriously, think the tertiary people can take a page or two from the working adults' book of creative ideas! :D

And Sharon and the rest of the drama team really did great great skits... their skits were very well-done! :D Sharon shared with me that they really couldnt' have done it without God's help. Amen! Clearly the anointing of the Holy Spirit was upon them!

And was talking with Kangwei, asking him for advice... wow, the advice that he gave was very sound, and I realised that KW is someone who has a deep and mature knowledge and understanding of the Scriptures. Very inspired by his life... wow, really have so much to learn from him! :D

So praise God for all His faithfulness, not just during the church camp, but also before and even on the way back after the camp. Am reminded of this song that we sang during camp:

"All majesty, to the God of all creation!
All majesty, God of all generations!
This anthem we sing, to the God of all nations!
All majesty, we sing..."

No comments: