Monday, June 25, 2007

Let Love and Faithfulness Never Leave You...

Then... for myself... think something I captured from shepherding yesterday was the principle of faithfulness. Actually I'd never liked the word 'faithfulness' very much before, 'cos it brought to my mind a tired list of things to do - chop chop, run here run there, meet one deadline here, one deadline there... and i always thought that faithfulness was something that task-oriented people are better at.

Ha, yet another case when Yeu Ann tries to use his "wisdom" instead of actually understanding God's Word regarding faithfulness. Realised that I didn't have a clear understanding of faithfulness.

In essence, faithfulness is at heart an attitude actually... not a list of things to do... (and the phlegmatic in me breathes a sigh of relief. :) ) It's being responsible and taking ownership of whatever God or people has entrusted me with.

I like that word. Taking ownership. It means that you won't say, "It's none of my business." Like how the good shepherd takes ownership of his sheep, and the best sign of his faithfulness is that he lays his life on the line for the sheep. But the hired hand says, "Not my business to die for these stupid sheep!" when he sees a hungry lion or wolf coming.

So I was thinking how can I apply this principle of faithfulness...
Realised that back in Army, I had a 'bo-chup' mentality - whatever I don't like to do, I bo-chup lah! Chase me and I'll (probably) do it - but don't expect me to take the initiative. Gee. No wonder my section I/C kept on scolding me day after day. :P

But now, hee, I realise that one expression of faithfulness is having a heart of wanting to give my best in whatever I have been entrusted with, and if possible, go the extra mile. So I think one way I can apply it at work is to remember by heart the responsibilities I've been entrusted with, and also the responsibilities I've been entrusted with in ministry.

And ... my personal stuff and belongings. I think it's time for me to start seeing them as wonderful responsibilities that enable me to achieve and do much more for God and for others... e.g. the laptop that I have...

Responsibility. It's like gold - heavy but precious. And more dependable in value than paper money whose value fluctuate with the inflation rate.

*******
Edited to add:
I just googled 'faithful'. Loyal, sure, something you can depend on, steadfast. You know you can count on a faithful person to get something done!

Dear Lord, I really want to grow in faithfulness today. Thank You for being so patient with me, through all those years when I disappointed so many people... but even now Your grace is still there for me today. Help me be the trustworthy man of God that You want me to be, the faithful brother, the faithful friend, the faithful husband, the faithful father, the faithful soldier... faithful even unto the point of death. :) In Jesus' name, amen! :)

No comments: