Friday, June 22, 2007

Is there a shortage of school teachers?

Read this forum posting, and it made me pause for a while.

MY SON, who is a Primary 3 pupil, is going through a tough time, with his teachers changing every single term, so much so that it is like a revolving door.

He had a Chinese teacher who taught for two terms and is now going for training at the National Institute of Education (NIE), so he will have a new NIE-trained teacher for Term 3.

He had a new English teacher in Term 2, and now we are expecting a 'new' teacher for Term 3.

Why is there such a high turnover?

I raised my concern over the lack of continuity with the school, and the explanation given was that there is a shortage of teachers.

I strongly support the theory that higher pay will attract better-qualified people. May I ask what the Ministry of Education (MOE) is doing about attracting top people for the very important job of cultivating our future generations?

I understand that the economy is doing very well and people are less inclined to join the teaching profession. What is MOE doing to retain teachers and not lose the potentially good ones to the better-paying private sector?

My two children have had very good teachers. If only we could keep them...

Jenny Sim Siew Hwa (Mdm)


And here's a comment by one of the readers:

I don't think the school management will cry if teachers leave the service.

I remember meeting and chatting with this former full time teacher, when she was still my neighbour. She has move out since then.

When I met her, she was crying. Seeing that, I asked her what happened, and she told me that it is a practice for the principal and school management in every school to give 5% of their teachers a 'D' grade for their performance ranking at the end of every year. Once a teacher gets that D, his/her promotion prospects( ie whether promotion to a higher appointment or just grade level promotion) is practically hindered for years.

She got that 'D' despite what she did, and she finally resigned. The response from her principal was something like this: "If not happy with your grade, resign lor. MOE will always send someone to fill up the vacancy here."

The truth is, most school managements and principals of govt schs could care less about teachers resigning. They know that they do not have to worry, as hiring teachers is MOE's problem. All schools have to do is to sit tight and wait for MOE to 'feed' them with teachers.
Posted by: weehing69 at Thu Jun 21 21:57:25 SGT 2007


Oh my... is that actually true? If it's so, then it's... terrible in a way... but again then, the first one to present his case seems right, till someone else challenges him. :) So lemme know if this is true... esp all ye teachers out there! (I can't ask my mum yet - she's away in M'sia for a staff retreat.)

And gives me a deeper appreciation for my mum, and fellow bros and sisters who are working as teachers! Thank God for all my teachers, esp those who worked very hard... :)

So what do you teachers think? True or not?

Edited to add:
Saw a teacher's comment:

unewolke
Default Yesterday, 02:08 PM

I am a teacher - it's tough being a teacher, especially in Singapore. I am impressed with the playwright's academic results - but he wasn't trained as a teacher, and is not an "overqualified teacher". Who is an "overqualified teacher", pray tell? Who is an "overqualified" lawyer, doctor, accountant, engineer or politician for instance?

It's not just about the salary, I don't think local school teachers get paid all that badly. It's a lot to do with the job, its scope, how much pleasure one derives from doing it, recognition, and more intangible things like that. If I'd wanted to be paid all that well, I would never have quit being a lawyer. I enjoyed doing legal work, I also enjoy teaching. They are different, but salary was only one consideration, and definitely not the most important in the overall scheme of things.

The Singapore bureaucracy remains thick, even as the civil service has just edged out its Canadian counterpart in being a good service provider. We need more than scholars to man some of the top positions. We need mavericks, perhaps. We need people who tout critical AND CREATIVE thinking skills!


Hear, hear! Back to the good ol' days when the teacher was really The Teacher, and ruled the class with a (stainless) steel ruler...

Ok, maybe that's not such good ol' days. ;) But seriously... I do agree with the part about the bureaucracy... but think that's the very nature of government... its role is, after all, to govern, and to govern well means putting in restrictions, permissions and promotions as needed. But gosh, it's not easy to govern 4 million people. :P Think we gotta pray for the Education Minister, tt God'll give him the necessary wisdom and strength to do what is best for the next generation of students. :)

1 Timothy 2:1-4
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

No comments: