Monday, June 25, 2007

False Humility Stops New Leaders Rising Up

Was very inspired by Hong Teck's talk at the HopeKids volunteers' hangout - something that struck me was that one reason why people don't want to rise up as leaders and be confident before others is because they're afraid to be thought of as proud.

So while they may appear as being very humble, gentle and demure before others, in actual fact, they're not.

HT said that the fact is, in ministry, if you want to serve in a greater capacity, you will definitely feel uncomfortable. But being willing to serve despite the discomfort, that others may benefit, that is true humility.

Think God has been challenging me to start preparing myself to serve in a greater capacity and to take care of people in a greater capacity too. And honestly, I'm damn scared. Afraid of failure, feel inadequate (and that's putting it mildly), and I've a really poor track record of faithfulness. Also because don't know how to teach the word well. Tried before, and gosh, my follow-uppee had no idea at all what I was sharing. Pengz. Haha... I can't forget the look of complete confusion on his face - was so funny actually... (now that I think of it) :P But sad thing yeah, he left already. So felt sad and discouraged for quite a while.

But thank God for my shep who has been spurring me on to grow further... He was telling me, "Next time, when you lead people..." Gee. Not "if", but "when"... I felt encouraged because I think he believes in me.

But oh yeah. He would put his hand on my shoulder and remind me: "Yeu Ann, God has never stopped believing in you."

*pause*

And was further encouraged by HT's words that he really believes in leadership without a title. No point having a title and not being able to lead. (And don't we all know "leaders" who are leaders in name but not in heart or skill?) As Hanhui put it so simply before: "Leadership is influence."

Leaders without a title, I think, are some of the best servants... because they assume the responsibilities of leadership without the privileges that come along with a title.

And something else. Leaders, in the end, simply lead. They simply show the way to go. They may be less skilled than their followers, but if they know the best way to go, I'll gladly follow them! :) (Like Zhuge Liang... I guess he couldn't even lift up one of Guan Yu's war swords, but, because of his intellect and clear sense of direction, he decisively won many a battle.)

No comments: