Monday, February 12, 2007

Looking Forward

Today Ps Jeff preached a really good sermon. Very timely. Could tell Ps Jeff really really preached from the depths of his heart against the dangers of sexual immorality, and his burden for us, to walk right with God, whether we're in a r/p or not. And honestly, I think this is one of his most heartfelt sermons that I've heard him preach before.

The first point was about making sure that I don't lose sight of God's special mission for my life. The old adage, "Maker, Ministry, and then Mate" still holds so true. Very straightfwd, the point. Think God spoke to me that though He's given me a vision and a mission already, my future life partner may not still not be ready at this point in time. So I need to wait for God to initiate, to bring me a dear sister in due time, who will be able to join me together in this specific calling that God's got for me in my life. "Delight yourself in the LORD and He'll give you the desires of your heart." :) aMeN!

Thank God for what He spoke to me! :) Shared wif Sharon immediately after the sermon ended, and later on with my CG over lunch.

Ps Jeff also shared that friendships are the foundations of all healthy and romantic relationships. How true! One lonely person marrying another lonely person does NOT equal a couple, but rather TWO lonely persons. And also, the most significant reason why marriages don't work well or fail is due to lack of good communication.

Huanyan wrote a very good post on this, so I shalln't write more on this. Just read his post - and be encouraged! =)

*******
Hee... sitting back, I'm taking a look back at what God's been doing in my life, as I try to make sense of all the things that have happened recently. And I think God is helping me put two and two together regarding my life's mission and calling.

'Cos I've got a burden to see the media industry impacted for Christ - and when I responded in 2005 during the church camp to impact the media industry for Christ, God anointed me and opened the way for me to serve Him in increasingly bigger-sized multimedia productions, and also gave me a dear shepherd who shares the same vision as me - and he challenged me to go even further. :D

And I've also got a burden to see children discipled and taken care of, especially the poor and fatherless children...

And I wonder how these two burdens can be reconciled into a singular calling. Then, while walking back home yesterday, and reading a particular library book that I borrowed for training my tertiary MM team, I think God has given me an additional insight into how the dual callings of media and children actually fit together into a single grander strategy.

God's so cool, praise Him! :) Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

*******
Finally, why the title "Looking Forward"? Well, 'cos I was reflecting - to be honest, I'm still in the process of adapting to the new ministry that God has put me in, and slowly bringing my heart over from the NUS ministry to the Adults ministry. I think if one is to be faithful to the calling God has given him, he must put his whole heart into it, and never look back at the "good ol' days".

'Cos Jesus said that no one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the Kingdom of God.

And I'm inspired by those whom Hebrews 11:15-16 commends:
"If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."


Of course, not that I forget the dear friends I've made in NUS ministry... but I must not fall into the trap of getting stuck in the past, and not wanting to move on in the new ministry. So something I've been doing recently is to increase the no. of times I initiate meals and SMSes to my new CG, even if it means cutting back on the no. of times I meet up with my NUS bros and sisters. I think it's necessary, if I'm to, in Calyn's words, "must cheong all the way in Adults ministry, ok?!" ;)

Met Hon Loong, my dear old ex-shepherd, in S11 today. So happy to see him back in Singapore again - and so sad to hear that he'll be going back to the Philippines on Tuesday again for a few more months. He's still a real sweet-corn as ever (sweet and CORNY). ;)

Yup, there's many exciting things that God has stirred up in my heart, even a lazy heart like mine - so powerful is He - and I'm getting started on these things. But as always, I want to remember to keep my desire for God central, to delight myself in the Lord, knowing that He is good FOREVER, no matter how things may seem now, whether good or bad, joyful or sorrowful.

We serve a wonderful Saviour indeed! :D

No comments: