Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yet another incredibly sweet thing my mum did for me just now.

I had just taken out a glass jug of water from the fridge... and when I put it back into the fridge... I accidentally dropped the glass jug of water. No prizes for guessing what happened to the jug!

Well, I stood there, and asked my dad (who had just come out of the kitchen toilet) to pass me a broom and dustpan. As I swept up the shards, I realised that there was something under my left toe.

A blob of blood. A big blob of red blood.

And the blood interspersed with the spilled water, and pretty soon, I was standing on an oozing pool of red blood. My blood. Just like a Final Destination scene...

I was initially quite concerned that my mum might be angry at me making a huge bloody mess (literally)... but when she came over, to my surprise, she didn't make a huge fuss, but just asked me what had happened.

Then what she did next really touched me very much. She asked me to stand aside, and she took over the cleaning. And then she took a box of water, and got me to wash my feet and the blood and glass away from my feet.

And then she basically cleaned up the whole disaster zone... no mean feat for a lady who has to teach the next morning and the accident happened at 2.30 am.

(Oh, she also roped me in for the last part, to use a wet rag to pick up all the ultra-tiny glass shards. But she asked me only because her knees weren't able to kneel down like last time. It took me fifteen whole minutes to carefully "de-mine" just a few square metres of kitchen floor, nooks and crannies...)

And she never complained the whole time.

It's strange. I never saw or appreciated it much, but ever since I fasted and prayed last week, God has been opening my eyes to see how sacrificial and serving my mum really is. Man! She asks me to help her rush a print job at 2 am in the morning, and I complain. But when there's some spill or smash or the dog did something stupid... she'll uncomplainingly mop and clean up the whole kitchen area, even if it's 3 am in the morning.

Wow. Thank You Father, for showing me yet once again how much, how humbly my mum serves the whole family. And forgive me for being so damned unappreciative of all her labours of love all these years. Help me honour her as You would have me do so... in Jesus' most humble name, amen.

I guess the least I can do is get her some good chocolates tomorrow...

Edited to add:
Oh my God... she just came into my room just now! To dress my wound... even though it's only a very minor wound (just rich in blood that's all). *deeply touched* And... as she got me to sit down, she knelt down and tended my foot, she groaned for a second as her arthritic knees resisted.

*grimace* I felt I was watching Christ kneeling down to wash His disciples feet... in the form of my mum tending to me...

Gave her a hug and a kiss to say thank you.

No comments: