Sunday, October 18, 2009

We Three Pilgrims On A Deepavali's Day

Whoa... today, God did something really amazing. I had decided to go down to St. Andrew's Cathedral - you know, the open steps - to take some time to "wrestle" with God in prayer. And I read Psalm 103, that told me to praise the Lord with all my soul, and not forget all His benefits.

So took some time to pray... and while I was reading and praying... suddenly, this sweet Indian lady came up to me and asked me when would the next service be. I told her I'm not sure as I'm not from St. Andrew's. So she smiled and said thanks and sat down on the steps in front of me.

Well, somehow I had this feeling that I should talk with her a bit more. So I put my Bible aside, and asked her how come she wants to come for service today. She said, "Because I'm bored!" Whoa. So exclaimed to her that most ppl don't normally go to church when they are bored... haha...

She grinned brightly, and said that she's a Christian. And at that moment, some song from a nearby room came pouring out, and she immediately sang along happily. Was so surprised by the joy in her eyes, and her childlikeness.

I exclaimed, "Wow, you sing very well!"

She grinned again, and said, "I sang during the National Day parade when I was in primary school. In the centre of the National Stadium!"

"Whoa! You're not kidding me? Serious?"

"Yes. I did."

With newfound respect and admiration, I said, "Ooooh. I see..."

Then I realised that today's the first day of Deepavali. So I asked her, "Aren't you celebrating Deepavali today?"

"No, I'm not a Hindu."

"Oh. I mean, I have some Christian friends who are Indian, and they celebrate Deepavali in a non-Hindu kind of way..."

"Yes, I know, but I'm not a Hindu."

"Oh."

She looked into the distance for a few moments, and then replied, "My dad's a Muslim and my mum's a free-thinker. My mum's a Chinese. I used to be a free-thinker, but realised that I need God."

"Oh, I see..." (I gather that her dad was an Indian Muslim, and her mum a Chinese...)

She continued: "By free-thinker, I mean that last time, I'm ok with all religions, but I don't see my need for God. So, see, free..."

"Haha... yeah. Buy one get one free..."

"Haha! No lah. Not like that."

So I asked her, "When did you become a Christian?" "Since 2004!"

Her eyes suddenly burst into a merry twinkle.

"I tell you, God has been soooooo good to me all these years! You know, the Bible tells us that God forgives us all our sins, and heals all our diseases... Have you read Psalm 103? Yes, that's where the Bible tells us - "

I interrupted in surprise. "Eh... Psalm 103? That's the exact passage I was reading just now! My goodness... I think... God must have sent you..."

"OH! Really? Wow! God's so good!"

Astonished, I looked at her closely. "Er... I'm just wondering. Don't tell me that you're... an angel?!"

"Oh! Hahaha! No... but it's really very amazing! Haha..." And she broke into a merry chuckle.

So we conversed back and forth. And, I found out that she was really all alone. Her husband is in prison, and her son is with MCYS.

So I asked her, "How do you feel...?"

She said, "I feel all alone. Just me and God."

I nodded sympathetically. Still, I was thinking about what she had said... here's a woman who has read her New Testament well, and is so thankful to God, praising and just singing for joy to God - not in a artificial kind of way... or a 'spiritualized' manner... but a genuine innocence, a childlike joy. And all in the face of the facts that she has really experienced a lot of life's hardships and pains. And not to mention that she isn't very well-educated - she only has an 'O' Level qualification for English. ("It was my best subject.")

I don't doubt she has her imperfections... but I did see the child of God in her eyes, and sense the genuine heart of wanting to seek God.

Then she shared with me this. Food for thought. She said, "When I became a Christian, I asked God to give me wisdom."

"Oh! That's interesting. Why wisdom (in particular)?"

She shrugged her shoulders lightly. "Well... you know we all are imperfect people, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, before I came to know the Lord, I was a bit gong-gong (stupid)."

"Oh."

"But the Bible promises us that if we lack wisdom, we should ask God, who gives us wisdom."

Then she looked gently at me, and told me, "You can't get wisdom from reading books alone. Wisdom comes from God. You can read all you want, but if you don't have God with you... you don't have wisdom."

I sat there, and nodded. It made me think. Here is a barely-educated woman... she's the same age as me, btw. But her eyes had tired "panda" eyebags underneath that spoke of experiences beyond her years.

So we continued talking. Then she shared with me that she's interested in joining a worship team, and whether I know anyone who does. I told her that I do know my church choir, but I wasn't sure if my church service would be appropriate for her.

(I grimaced inwardly as I said that...)

She nodded in a deeper understanding. Very interesting. As she reads body language well, and I think highly empathetic too. Haha.

Inwardly, I asked God, help me out here, Lord... I don't want to make this sister feel excluded... but she does need a church, a community to help her out. What do I do?

Then I suggested, "Have you considered other churches?"

She said, "New Creation... hmm... yah."

"Oh... hmm..." I looked around. "Oh! Why not St. Andrews'?"

"Oh, I could try... that's why I'm here for the service today! But today's a public holiday. I wonder if there's anyone who can help us find out more?"

"Ah. I don't know. But I suppose we could ask..."

And we asked. The next service was at 7 pm. It was 5 pm.

When I told her that, her eyes opened in a bemused kind of way. But she gently replied, "Oh, 7 pm? Well, okay."

Then she said to me, "Do you think they'll welcome me?"

"I think they will. Besides, the people we asked just now said it's ok."

"Oh, okay..." There was a note of tentativeness in her voice.

Wondering what to do next, I thought I should get a drink from the vending machine for her. I fumbled around for change. There was a plump teenage boy intensely playing his flute nearby. As I went back to ask her whether she had any spare change, the plump teenage boy took a quick look at me, and stopped playing, saying, "Lemme see if I've got any." He had this just-out-of-puberty kind of voice, with a slightly high-pitched squeak at times, and a strong stutter. But his voice was crisp and confident, even if it had its stutter to contend with.

To cut a long story short, the boy entertained us with a very skillful rendition of his Irish flutes (he has three!), gave us some interesting background history in Irish music, and of course, played and played. And the church courtyard echoed with his sweet melodies. And the lady and me were so amazed, that we applauded after every tune he had deftly played. Pleased, he kept on playing and demonstrating more.

And before we knew it, the daylight had gotten dim. And the Global Crossroads service was about to start. And there was a volunteer standing at the registration bench.

The lady gently, but a bit anxiously, asked me, "Do you think I should go for the service?"

I thought about it... prayed in my heart and replied: "You remember you shared with me that God is everywhere? He can also speak to You during the service too."

She looked a bit more assured. I decided to accompany her to the registration bench, to lend her some courage. And thank God, the brother on duty there was very kind and friendly. We both asked him whether it's ok, since the GC service is meant for international students, for her (a Singaporean) to go for this service.

The brother's kind eyes opened up in surprise. "Of course! All are welcome!"

She was a whole lot more reassured after that, and went in.

After she had gone in, I turned around to the brother (Johnny), "Oh, ... er... Johnny, would there be ushers to help welcome her?"

He smiled. "Sure. Don't worry. We have Friendship Partners to take care of our visitors!"

So, I went back to the steps, and looked at the lady through the glass doors. Then I saw the kind brother taking a seat next to the lady. I smiled. And I prayed a prayer for her, asking God to strengthen her, save her husband, and if it's His will, He'll root and establish her in this church, so that she can be part of a local church family.

Then, I stood up and looked at the now dark-blue sky. Up and far away in the night sky, I saw a solitary star. It wasn't twinkling, just a bright and steady shine. But oh, how brightly, how brilliantly did it blaze, in the deep darkness of the inky-blue night, above the white sloping steeple of the cathedral.

Added:
Later that night, this sister - Sarah's her Christian name - messaged me Luke 4:18-19.


Three very different people, in very different life stations, with very different talents, with very different educational backgrounds, under very different circumstances. But here, in the sanctuary of God, we meet together in a divinely-appointed confluence. We three pilgrims meet together for a brief kairos moment, and encourage one another with our uniquely God-given strengths, before going our separate ways - till we meet again in the City of God.

No comments: