Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Primary Purpose of the Church

From "The Primary Purpose of the Church":
"If I were to ask you to tell me the primary purpose of the church, what would you say? Is it to make Disciples? Is it fellowship with ONE ANOTHER?

According to Matthew 28: 19-20 (The Great Commission) the primary purpose of the church is to make disciples. Yet in my work with churches, about 60% of members say the primary purpose of the church is fellowship with ONE ANOTHER.

Don’t get me wrong, fellowship is important. It is vital to the fulfillment of the primary purpose of the church (to make disciples), but it is not the Biblical primary purpose of the church."
Thought about it. Think the writer makes a lot of sense. What does it mean to be a disciple? Love God with everything that's in you and with all you've got - without any reserve! And love the guy next to you, regardless of race, language or religion, as you would love yourself. Walk close to Him and do whatever He tells you to do. And live your life in such a way that other people will see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Live your life with faith, hope and love.

Just a thought... am I living out this life of a disciple? Putting God at the centre of everything I do? Thinking about others, and serving and honouring them in Jesus' name - no matter how lowly they might seem? And am I teaching others to do the same, both in words and deeds? Even more than that... am I helping them know God personally for themselves? To seek God? To seek to PLEASE God? To love God? Love others?

Hm... another thought. I think also about making disciples... is also about providing the necessary support and encouragement to nurture and encourage every hurting soul to get up back on their feet again, as far as possible. And from my own experience, and what I've read in Christian counselling... the first and foremost thing in helping any hurting Christian get back on their feet is not more fellowship with other people, but first and foremost with God, Jehovah-Rapha, the One Who heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds... Because once you make peace with God, you are able to make peace with men. I find it so true - and I testify from my own experience as well.

Haiizzzzz... I think we really can do so much more to help bring people back to the Father... and closer to Him through our Lord Jesus Christ. Really. Really.

No comments: