Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Personal M&M

Psalm 86:11
"Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear Your name."

I think I will start again my habit of writing down Bible verses from memory and reciting them aloud. This simple habit makes it much easier for me to memorise Bible verses. When I was a very young believer, hee, I was quite scared actually that I'd forget God and felt quite lonely a lot of times. Also I felt paiseh to be reading the Bible in front of my family, so I started this habit of writing down verses on scraps of paper so that I could memorise them.

And hee, I think God blessed me in this area a lot. I simply love to recite some of the Bible passages... they're so poetic and so beautiful. I guess quite a few bros and sisters said that I'm like a walking Bible "Google".

Hmm... actually, I really think you shouldn't be admiring me or what... admiring me in the same way like you do someone who can memorise the entire Periodic Table or the 500th digit of pi or what... it's not a "stunt" or something amazing... I mean, a human can breathe the whole day without getting tired, right? But none of us get so amazed at the fact that we can breathe without tiring, breathing in our sleep.

In fact, it should be natural to want to stuff yourself full of God's Word. Like babies craving for milk, we too should crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it we may grow up in our salvation, now that we've tasted that the Lord is good!

In fact, God's Word is SO ESSENTIAL TO OUR VERY OWN SURVIVAL. Moses said in Deuteronomy 32:45-47
45 When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel, 46 he said to them, "Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. 47 They are not just idle words for you—they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess."


God's Word is so important to us. Without the Bible to guide us, we will most certainly be deceived and led astray. We will feel lost and helpless. We will not be able to receive God's comfort and assurance and guidance. We will be unable to distinguish between good and evil.

In fact, Abraham Lincoln himself said of the Bible:
"In regard to this Great book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it."
And the surprising thing is that, at that time, he wasn't even a Christian yet, but a skeptic. Gosh. I think he was an agnostic then.

:) Yep, believe it or not. A non-believer had such a high regard of God's Word... and see how God used him to save a nation and deliver an entire generation from slavery. And thank God, Mr. Lincoln did receive Christ into his heart around that time of the Civil War. =)

And it's in no little part due to the influence of God's Word upon Lincoln's character that this man is now the standard upon which all future Presidents would be measured up against.

And I'm encouraged by TH's willingness to explore the Bible for himself and have us explain to him. In fact, he understands some truths of the Bible much better than some of us Christians do! Gosh. So have much to learn from his willing heart to learn.

Gosh. If there are non-believers who have such a healthy respect for the Scriptures even though they are not Christians... then I think we Christians have to really buck up and repent. God's Word is a joy, you know. It is beautiful to read - not only doctrinally or mentally... it is also a literary joy to read!

Yup. So I want to grow in my love and hunger for God's Word... and to put it even more eagerly into practice. To do God's will God's way! Not to use my own understanding to shape my understanding of God's Word... but to let God's Word become my very understanding of the world!

Aye-men!

No comments: