Tuesday, February 3, 2009

CNY gathering at my room

Just finished a gathering of some dear friends at my place. In my room, to be precise. Weizhu, Huichun, Robert, Melissa, Peter and Yanjie. Sharon was supposed to drop by, but she had DMM at 8 pm.

We huddled in the tiny confines of my room, but even though my mum asked us whether we wanted to use the dining room, they replied, "Auntie, no need lah, the room is very cozy." :) Hee! Thank God so much. 'Cos was a bit concerned that my room might be too small for more than 7 people. But well, God is faithful and He always provides. :)

Over a meal of fried chicken, Robert kicked off the time by sharing about something that I had written in my blog. And the other bros shared and shared... while Huichun and Melissa sat by and listened attentively to what we were sharing.

After that, we shared about old times in NUS... haha... and the crazy matriculation games that we played when we were all in year 2...

Wow. It's so heartwarming, the sweet time of fellowship. The floor of my room is a bit grubby now, with some KFC stains on it, but the sweetness of friendship's aroma still lingers around long after the gathering is over.

And I think we could have more of these brothers' gatherings! :) Actually, we should! I think I will open up my room again for more gatherings... =) (But only up to a max of 7 or 8 people, depending on their waist-sizes... and any farters will be immediately cast out into the darkness, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth... [yeah, I farted a few times... as discreetly as possible though haha])

The discussion that we had was so stimulating and so thought-provoking, that actually, I was quite disappointed when Weizhu helped to conclude it... 'cos I felt this was a great time for stirring our hearts to action! Well, so I'll post it on my blog soon!)

Not only that. I realized that each brother had their own unique strengths and perspectives to add to the sharing and discussion. Robert had his powerful voice and direct opinions, while Yanjie had his humourous insights, while Weizhu had his steady and thoughtful, empathetic sharings, while Peter had his balanced and comprehensive analysis, while I think I had my experiences and stories to share.

And it was so delightful, 'cos I saw how everyone of the brothers blessed everyone else in the group with their own unique experiences and insights. Complementary.

Not only so, but we all had the same passion and spiritual heartbeat to see us grow in maturity and in being solidly grounded in the Word of God. That is so unifying! And my heart was very nourished and blessed by this true fellowship.

Personally, I think we've been abusing the word "fellowship". We use it in the same breath as "let's play DOTA; let's go shopping; let's do this and that..." But what really is fellowship?

Hanhui asked the brothers last time, some years back in NUS times. One of us suggested, "Something like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring?" And HH said yes, this is what fellowship is about.

Well, let's go back to the Word... from what I can remember... it's eating together with glad and sincere hearts, meeting up daily in our own homes, praising God together, sharing whatever we have with one another... also encouraging one another in our walk with the Lord...

I think fellowship can be described simply as this: Being in the same ship as the other person. :) If the ship goes to the Maldives, we rejoice together! If it goes into the perfect storm, we face it together. We are covenanted with one another, by the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ! Blood is thicker than water, but spirit is even thicker than blood!

Yup! Thank you Lord for being here with us! :)
Matthew 18:20
"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Acts 2:46
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts...
Anyway, yah, it's such a joy to open up my room... I realised that even though my room's really quite small, it actually is a very cozy place to fellowship! :) (Not to mention the aircon helped to keep the room cool. And to think I didn't want the aircon at all... God really has His reasons.) It's such a joy to practise hospitality, to open up my room to bless my brothers and sisters in Christ! I pray that the Lord will use this tiny room to enlarge the fellowship and love of the church in His timing and wisdom! Amen!

No comments: