Friday, February 13, 2009

click on the above pic to see the full details!
It's so nice, the illustration! And the poem/rap/rhyme/chant - whatever they youngsters call it nowadays. :D

But more seriously, I've been thinking whether to invite a few sec school guys I got to make friends with during my company's annual com care event. It's very interesting - they were the ones who initiated the keeping in touch... ok, i guess they bonded with me, 'cos i treated them to a Christmas meal of Big Macs. (You should have seen their eyes open wide-wide - four hungry teenage boys - when I told them I'll treat them.)

Still, I hope they won't expect me to treat them more. :) Something I learnt in the past about connecting with people carries over to connecting with kids and teenagers - just be yourself. And don't be afraid to do good. You don't have to act nice - just relate to them at your own comfort level.

But yet... even in the short time of bonding with them, and seeing how God gave me this opportunity to minister to 4 growing boys... I felt uncomfortable. Because of the age gap, and my natural introversion and shyness. But I had to be bold and confident, both for their sakes and my own sake. Perhaps it was because I never really saw myself as a leader, as an influencer of 4 young men-to-be who were looking up to me for guidance and direction.

And I felt so vulnerable. Because I wasn't used to doing any leading, even as a young child. (When you have two older sisters... well, you know lah.)

But this is good, because such things like these force me to look to the Father himself for guidance, confidence and direction. And I'm reminded that in big ways and small ways, I just have to be faithful to sow God's love in the people around me.

I've been thinking. And yet... there are times we are to work in what are clearly uncomfortable times and moments. In fact, I had the joy of being able to pray for a brother in NUS yesterday - he shared with me about his stress of serving as a leader in ministry... and I received a prayer request from a sister today for God to comfort and strengthen her through challenging times...

It makes me realize... doing the right things, the good things, the lovely things, the true things, the noble things... are not always comfortable. But it's through these tough times that we can really experience and feel the comfort of God like never before.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

compassion + fortification = comfort.


Have tried getting in touch with the Youth people to link them up with the boys. But I'm not sure who else to look for. And besides, they're having the Valentine's day service.

I gotta hurry up, pray and get in touch with Shirley Melinda. Maybe there might be a way to jio them for service... if it's all right to do so. (I don't think now's the timing to ask them yet for service, but hee God knows my heart to want to bless them.)

Ok! Off I go.

No comments: