Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jesus! II

O Little Town of Bethlehem
O little town of Bethlehem,
How still we see thee lie.
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by;
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light;
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary,
And, gathered all above
While mortals sleep, the angels keep
Their watch of wondering love.
O morning stars, together
Proclaim the holy birth.
And praises sing to God the King.
And peace to men on earth.

How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear His coming;
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive Him,
still The dear Christ enters in.


Where children, pure and happy,
Pray to the Blessed Child;
Where misery cries out to thee,
Son of the Mother mild;
Where charity stands watching,
And faith holds wide the door,
The dark night wakes, the glory breaks,
and Christmas comes once more.

O Holy Child of Bethlehem,
Descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin and enter in;
Be born in us today!
We hear the Christmas angels
The great glad tidings tell;
O come to us, abide with us,
Our Lord Emmanuel!

Phillips Brooks(1835-1893), 1868
I love this carol very much. It helps me remember that in the midst of an uncertain year, with all its turmoils and fears, God really is with us, as He was 2000 years ago.

Come to think of it, the end of 2008 and the beginning of 2009 is a major transition point. We can't put our trust in money, for Wall Street and Lehman Brothers have shown us so. And on a more personal level, I just received a mass e-mail from a brother whom I respect a lot... I was totally taken aback, because I sensed a lot of pain and anguish, bitterness even. And I was afraid for the flock under his care. And my own job, the wonder whether I will be able to meet my employers' expectations next year... the wonder whether World War III will happen in my lifetime... global warming, political succession in Singapore after MM Lee moves on to the Great Beyond, and so on and so forth.

And the story, the glory, of the baby reassures us that the Prince of Peace born unto us understands our fears and worries, on a very ordinary and human level. "And the government will be on His shoulders."
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight.


And the mystery, the magic, of Christ-mas tells us that sometimes, God is closer than we think. He is closer than the breath we breathe, the air that tingles our skin. Yet we do not see Him, we do not hear Him... as my friend TH said to me last night, "Perhaps He is working in my life... but I don't see Him doing so at this moment!"
How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.


I guess Christmas is so different from all the other festivals and so on. Instead of us giving Him gifts this Christmas, He gives us the gift of His presence.
No ear may hear His coming;
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive Him,
still The dear Christ enters in.
Come to think of it... isn't it hilarious that the only people who offered Jesus gifts were called Wise Men? Hmm! :) I think we'd be wise too to bring ourselves before Him and offer our lives back to God once again!
Jesus brings warmth like a winter fire, a light like a candle’s glow
He’s waiting now to come inside, like He did so long ago
Jesus brings gifts of truth and life and makes them bloom and grow
So welcome Him with a song of joy, and when He comes you’ll know...
I'd like to chip in together with the Wise Men, and offer my life anew to Him. You too? :D Come!

No comments: