Friday, September 18, 2009

God's Pottery

Today's sub-district CG was Missions Night. And what a night it was!

I had gone there with a heavy and spiritually dry heart, but prayed on my way there, I asked God to speak to me anyway... and pleaded with Him to touch me, speak to me... well, just do something...

And hee, thank God so much, wow, Eugene's sharing really spoke to me very much!
8:59 PM 9/17/2009
SubD CG Missions night
--------------------------
GOD'S POTTERY

Jer 18:1-6

Personal note: The LORD of the harvest... prophecy about stepping out of our comfort zones.

Focus on v3-4

If taken out of context - we may mistake God to be an arbitrary God.

It's v impt to know who God truly is.

Our priorities of God are determined by our perspective of God.

Shaping and sculpting - the clay
Then firing of the clay.

One v impt factor in making a pot is the condition of the clay.
- There must NOT be any air bubbles in the clay...
=> it hinders shaping AND firing of the clay.

Video of potter trying to make a pot (but the clay flew off the potter's wheel): (WOW! God's hands are so closely on me... just like how the potter's hands embraced the clay, so God's hands embrace us literally as He works to shape us.)

God actually reused the clay... reshaped into another pot shape. He did not chuck the clay aside for a better batch, but reused the clay.

Our God is a God of 2nd chances.

(I'm touched... i remember my time in NUS ministry... and my failures... and yet He did not forsake me. On the contrary, He used me and shaped me even more...

Oh God. You still consider me worthy despite all my weaknesses. Wow. You spoke to me.)

One very impt thing is never to give up on myself, because God has never given up on me.

(I'm so touched, Lord. Thank You Jesus.)

MOVEMENTS IN KNOWING GOD
1. Self-will: "I'm going to do what I want regardless of what God wills."
2. "If God gives me what I want, I'll do what He wants"
3. Blackmail / Bargaining: "I will give God what He wants and believe by faith He'll give me what I want."
4. "I will give God what He wants in full surrender because He knows best and desires the best for me."

But #4 is still anthrocentric... the ultimate is the next one...

5. "I will give God what He wants in full surrender because He knows best and desires the best for His glory."

(LOVE FOR GOD. WOW. It all goes down to utter love for God.)

God ego-centric? But He IS perfect.

(Yah... I think I vacillate between 1 to 4... though occasionally 5... haha... but want to be #5. And you know what? I think my spiritual dryness and discouragement actually sprung out of an increasing focus on myself. Wanting others to think well of me, rather than thinking well of God. Lord, I repent. I want to live to bring You praise and glory every day.)

How are we really in our walk with God today?

Are we living for God's glory or our glory? (I think it's the 2nd.)

How can we glorify God through our lives?

(Thank You for rebuking and correcting me Daddy...)

Matt 28:18-20 : the Great Commission!

Why we find it hard to focus on God? 'Cos we're too focused on ourselves and our own needs... also distracted by the things of the world.

Henry T. Blackaby:
One has to ask the right questions to get the right answers!

The "wrong" question is:
"What is GOD's will for my life?"

The "right" question is:
"What is GOD's will?"


Matt 6:33
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Fulfilling the Great Commission by raising Christ-centred disciples to plant

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
And after listening to our church-planters, Wee Leng and Terry, share about what made them decide to leave their promising careers behind to go to a new land literally... and give God the best years of their lives...

Gosh. I don't know why, but I really really really felt this deep ache in my heart. Oh boy. Now's the time... well, I was talking with Huaqiang over dinner today, and when I told him about the possibility of interning with Campus Crusade... he said it's a good idea, even if I have to find my own source of income. 'Cos if I can find a sponsor (aka a generous patron... haha)... that'd help a lot!

Ooh. Never thought of such an idea.

But yeah, interning at Campus Crusade's film ministry sounds like a neat idea... it seems to fit in exactly with what I've longed to do. Film... missions... and maybe even children haha.

Just need to think through the practical considerations too. Like how Terry thought through as well... and then stepped out.

A bit apprehensive, actually. But no fear, I'll go down to the Campus Crusade office next week and talk with them. I'll check out for more info.

And I want this to be my life's mission statement.
5. "I will give God what He wants in full surrender because He knows best and desires the best for His glory."

Abandoned unto God. Amen.

No comments: