Thursday, September 10, 2009

The God of Small Things

From A Place For the God-Hungry:
Don’t underestimate what might seem small and insignificant.

So much of life is about doing what seems small and insignificant. Driving. Talking. Cooking. Working. Dealing with the children. Walking. Exercising. Studying. etc. Yet, God notices it all.

Jesus noticed a poor widow (Mark 12:41-44) who gave two copper coins into the temple treasury. He observed that she gave out of her poverty. Two copper coins? You mean to say that our Bible has yielded space to a story of a widow who gave two copper coins? Yes. After all, this seemingly insignificant moment reflects a heart that Jesus wanted to display before his closest followers. In Scripture, he continues to display her heart to all of us.

During a typical week, we may work on tasks that we consider to be very important. Or, we may find ourselves in conversations which seem to be highly significant. However, if you are like most of us, much of the week will be be spent doing the "little things."

Could it be that God notices these small and seemingly insignificant moments more than we do? Could it be that God is paying attention to what we are doing in these everyday moments of life? I think so. After all, these moments often reveal our hearts. They reveal who we really are and what or who we really treasure.

That is no reason to be discouraged. In fact, just the opposite is true. How encouraging to know that our everyday, ordinary lives really do matter to God. How encouraging to know that God is paying attention to us. How encouraging to know that a "cup of cold water" given in his name really does matter.

Today matters.

It matters because in the ordinary moments of life, God sees our hearts. He affirms and applauds what might seem insignificant and unimportant to anyone else. To him, however, these small moments really do count.


Eilton, Jade, Misha and I met up today to go on our first ever Primary 6 CG outing. Yes. You read it right. Our first ever P6 CG outing. That's what Eilton commented to me back on the train.

I was tired after the outing. But it was very good. Thank God for "Uncle Lee" who prayed for me. :) What encouraged me a lot was that one of the "tough" boys has started bonding with me more. He even ran after me when I went to the loo. Ahhh. I was so surprised when he did that. Asked him why he's following me. He said, "Since you're going, I'll go with you!"

Wah. Ok lor. I joked with him that he wants to follow me 'cos he doesn't want to get lost. LOL. But of course he can tell that's a joke.

But it struck me that God was actually using Matthew to show me how discipleship should be like. Just like how the disciples followed Jesus around literally... and like how Matthew even followed me to the loo... I think the Lord Jesus is showing me through Matthew's actions the speediness and childlikeness in which I should readily and eagerly follow Christ.

Anyway, yah, it was a fun and tiring time. But reflecting on it all... though it was a simple outing, it really was a breakthrough. Beverly is normally very quiet and non-participative in group discussions on Sundays. But Jade's cheerfulness helped Bev bond with her. And Bev was really smiling and enjoying herself after that. Matthew's not the easy kind as in he's smart... and he's not that into spiritual things. But God helped me bond with him over Nerf guns! Amayzing. And thank God for Eilton who led the CG programme.

All these very little things, I believe, God is able to use. But more than that, it's the little things that we do unto the little ones of His that really matter.

I like how Eilton's last words to me tonight were: "Good day, wasn't it?" And his grin. :)

And CG yesterday was good! :D I sense the winds of change starting to blow in our CG. Tai Heng was with us again this week. :D Haha... and you know, he gives very interesting answers that are simple but sweet! And we ate together with glad and sincere hearts. HQ shared with us that he was very encouraged that a lot of us could make it. And that we brought so much food to CG to bless everyone, that seriously, we had so much left over.

It was a very powerful object lesson. That when the Church gets together in love for God and for one another... by being committed to one another... then even very very small things like bringing a little bag of food to CG is a very big tool in Christ's hand to bless the Church.

Little things matter to God so much, because it's in the little things that show just how big our hearts really are.

No comments: