Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Lament

Today's Vesak Day and I read in the newspapers about the growth of Buddhist organizations in Singapore, especially those in the young adults range - my age range. But what made me feel very sad was seeing how some Christians choose to come down and listen to Buddhist talks... saying that "Buddhism is an all-inclusive, non-exclusive religion..."

I've nothing against those who practise Buddhism... it's just that, to be honest, I believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father. I have to, if I claim to follow Jesus. Because Jesus Himself said very clearly: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

If the whole world were to reject Christ and go after religions and philosophies... would I still remain a Christian?

I had a small foretaste of my answer. After reading the article on Buddhism's growth in Singapore, I was thinking, what if the entire population of Singapore became anything but Christian... and I was the only one who still believed in Jesus, would I still hold on?

I realised that in my heart, I was already struggling. I realised that I was starting to have questions, asking, "If I was the only person left in Singapore who believed in the one true God, would I still hold on?"

Because Christianity has a very difficult problem: It says that Jesus is the only way to the Father. No other options, no other ways.

If I did believe that Christ was the only way to the Father... that would mean 99.999999% of the world was... LOST.

Ok, leaving the little children out - esp those who are too young to know right from wrong... 50% of the world?

And this story came to mind after I prayed. The story of the prophet Elijah moaning to the LORD that he was the only one left in Israel who still believed in the one true God 'cos the rest of Israel had gone worshipping false gods. God told Elijah, "I have reserved for myself 7000 others who have not bowed their knees to Baal."

And Jesus hanging on the cross... rejected by the entire world. Would I still have stayed by him?

Honestly, I think I'd do what the other disciples did: Cabut! (Abandon ship!)

This is a hard question. But yeah, thank God He gave me two experential answers to this tough question. Elijah and Jesus himself. Old Testament and New Testament.

*ponders*

I know I should be sharing the gospel with my colleagues... living out my faith in a stronger and more convicted manner. I should live with such integrity, that I wouldn't have to flush with shame whenever I tell my colleagues I'm going to read my Bible / go to church. I see the mismatch between my own public and private values, and I'm ashamed of my character inconsistencies. I see my own lack of convictions, the backbone of straw, the feet of clay, that remain hidden till the critical moment of testing... when I collapse and fail not only those around me, but God as well utterly.

Actually, come to think of it - all of us have already failed God utterly.

Oh. Yet He forgave us on the cross, saying, "Father, forgive Yeu Ann, for he doesn't know what he is doing."

*ponders*

No comments: