Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Developing Men who Take on the Heavy Lifting of Ministry

Read this article, and thought it's very interesting. Thank God for Jason who's been initiating a Bible study guide through the book of Acts for the brothers in his CG and his sheep to help prepare them for the church camp.

This comment from the above article set me thinking:
Can you name three things which cause emotional discomfort in the average unchurched man? Try these on: singing, socializing, and sharing. Ironically, most men’s events, programs, retreats, or small groups place a high premium on all of these. Men treat emotions like smelly socks: They put them in the back of the drawer or in the hamper. They are not something they cozy up to! So when you seek to build a men’s culture that is attractive, you have to balance the fact that most men are in emotional kindergarten and that their DNA is built to avoid these exercises.


Of course, it's important to realise that we men do need to share our feelings, etc, deeper, but that has to be in the context of close secure relationships. Even for a 'feeler' man like me, something I've realised is that I still do desire to accomplish, to achieve, to attain some goal, some thing, etc.

In my workplace, it's very interesting to observe and learn how the guys in the workplace connect to one another. We're perfectly fine talking about THINGS and work. To talk about feelings is a very awkward thing - only for the deepest life-and-death situations. =)

But one good thing is that we guys do bond over work, and it's a genuine bond of sorts.

Yup, just some thoughts. Meanwhile there's the HopeKids video to do. Still feeling tired, low and starting to feel spiritually dry. How have I allowed myself to slack on reading the Bible every night? Through meaningless web-surfing, squandering my time away! :( I need to fast from web-surfing. Think I'll do it tomorrow... but yah, really need the Word of God in my heart to survive, and to thrive.

Today was an unusually tough day in the office. I remembered that my prayers that morning, because of my spiritual dryness, were very short and mumbling.

Just feel so...

Never mind. I go pray now. =)

No comments: