Monday, September 10, 2007

Was reading Psalms 143 and 144 just now. Very touched. These 2 psalms encouraged me, and amazingly, they touched on the very two things that Peter was telling about: dwelling in melancholy and how army BMT would have been so helpful to me.

Shall just jot down these two passages!
"[The enemy] makes me dwell in darkness
like those long dead.
So my spirit grows faint within me;
my heart within me is dismayed." (Psalm 143:3-4)

And Psalm 144:
Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
He is my loving God and my fortress,
my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me."

This passage really spoke to me, when I woke this morning, feeling depressed again. This time was different though, 'cos after Ps Jeff's sermon, I'm reminded that my faith must go beyond feelings.

Peter was telling me that army BMT would have been very useful in training me for real-life situations e.g. making decisions on the spot, etc., not dwelling in tiredness and so on. My thought was simply: "Eh. I no BMT, since I medically exempted mah."

But this verse just came into my mind even before I read Psalm 144: "He trains my hands for war..."

Not that God is a pro-war God - on the contrary - He's not too keen about war, but He can and will fight for His people if there is such a need.

So realised that God is training me up during this period to have the qualities of a good soldier. One who endures hardships well, is strong and effective even under extreme pressure, and who fears no one but God alone.

Wow. :) I'm encouraged. Yeah, just to share, recently, I had three opportunities to stand up for what God's Word said, instead of following the other person's pressure. Felt a bit unsure, but after I made my decision, just felt His peace and courage and conviction fill my heart. And wonderfully, He gave me a good idea - knowing myself, it has to be wisdom from God. :)

And am very uplifted by these two promises in the two Psalms:
"Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground."

and this one best! i believe it's a promise from God regarding my CG at this moment. :)
(Psalm 144:12-15)
"Then our sons in their youth
will be like well-nurtured plants,
and our daughters will be like pillars
carved to adorn a palace.
Our barns will be filled
with every kind of provision.
Our sheep will increase by thousands,
by tens of thousands in our fields;
our oxen will draw heavy loads.
There will be no breaching of walls,
no going into captivity,
no cry of distress in our streets.

Blessed are the people of whom this is true;
blessed are the people
whose God is the LORD.
"

No comments: