Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the earth!"

After some reflections this week:
1. Think I now get it about the importance of having emotions, but not being "emo". I mean, I understand it now in practice. There are consequences to being emotional - friendships can be seriously stumbled, if not ruined, because of emotions carelessly handled.

2. And also, home's also a place of ministry too. Not just in church or even in the workplace. Home's a place to serve too. :D Hee hee!

3. And that we are a sent people. We are sometimes so focused on our inadequacies, especially since we've been raised in a kind and gentle culture (especially in church) that we forget that Jesus deliberately sent us out as sheep among wolves.

And when we see the wolves, we start getting scared of our sheep culture - they have power, pay and prestige. But what is the Lord's command? "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16)

(And here's The Message translation)
"Stay alert. This is hazardous work I'm assigning you. You're going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don't call attention to yourselves. Be as cunning as a snake, inoffensive as a dove."

Therefore I shouldn't worry about my sheep status, but focus on training and growing in street-smartness together with sweeter and purer innocence.

:D

4. And I've been learning two things about being street-smart:
A. Observing.
There's this guy who's a geek god in my office. He wears his pants without a belt and has very geekish glasses... and he's the life of the party! So much for the stereotype of the awkard geek... "Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the earth." XD MUAHAHAHA...

From observing him, I realised that he has an excellent sense of social and cultural awareness. And I observed other geeks, and realised they are very socially-inept.

So what is the difference? One is outwards-looking and aware, the other is very self-absorbed and lost in his own world.

Conclusion: It's not so much of fashion or knowledge or lifestyle that makes a person able to connect well with others... it's simply a good sense of timing and being aware.

Whoa! I think I've finally understood The Key to connecting with others. Being observant of people's expressions, the situation, the atmosphere... what my bros and sisters have been helping me see more and more. Look not only to my own interests, but also to the interests of others.

B. Practising.
Have been practising... it's getting more and more fun, actually! :) Thank God... =)

Well, just some little jots for now. Enjoy, and drop a message if you've time!

No comments: