Thursday, August 30, 2007

Can the Bible Really Tell Me What To Do When My Computer Crashes?

Would you first consult the bible when faced with a co-worker’s question concerning a problem he’s having with his teenage son, or would you first consult an “expert,” a secular book on the subject, or another friend? ... Few people are aware of just how practical the Scriptures really are and therefore just how useful they really are for helping us to answer every day questions or deal with every day situations. [continue...]


Read this article, and it was like a breath of fresh air. :) 'Cos I was reading the Bible with another friend over lunch yesterday, and think something in common is that we both (to be honest) find the Bible quite dry at times.

But thank God for His patience with me... even before reading this article, I was praying to God to give me a renewed love for Him, for His Word... somehow there's been quite a number of things happening recently that all serve to point me toward His Word as THE TRUTH. Like a Ravi Zacharias recording that I happened to come across on Ellson's harddisk when I recorded it... the Bible itself... and just a deepening burden that I need to make God's Word more part of my life.

Because each day goes by so quickly in the working world, that it sometimes feels like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day", in which the character finds himself waking up to the same day as before. Like an endless loop in which you are helpless to break out of. And willpower is, frankly, not very helpful, because if you don't have clear guidance on what really to live for, you'll naturally choose what brings you most pleasure.

But one wonderful thing is that when I start thinking more and more about what God's Word says, I find that I start knowing what is the general direction that I should walk in. Like the Lord says in the book of Jeremiah: "Stand at the ancient crossways, ask where the good way is, walk in it and you will find rest for your souls."

So I decided to start this morning to just wait upon God again... and fell asleep. :P But never felt so renewed, so refreshed. 'Cos there's this verse that reminded me that God looks at my heart, whether it waits in eager expectation.

And something that God's Word is starting to change me in is in the area of sleeping earlier. Because I normally stay up late, anxious that I can't sleep if I go to bed early, and am anxious about all the outstanding tasks that I have/want to do.

But Psalm 121 spoke to me today... it reminded me, "In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat, for He grants sleep to those He love." This is a promise from God that He will grant me sleep, if I trust in Him to take care of what I cannot do today. So the Word of God even transforms my sleeping habits.

Thinking... my mind's starting again to feel more peaceful, because I've realised that God's Word really has the answers to every single problem in life, including my computer crashing. :) (Hee. Think I'll share more abt that next time.)

And thank God for Peter's reminder that God's Word is VERY practical.

No comments: