Monday, August 6, 2007

What's Right with You?

Rather than, "What's wrong with you?", my question is "What's right with you?" Of course, there are times when there are so many things wrong with a person or a situation that it’s clearly time for a change. But I have found that more often than not, our thoughts can be out of balance. The things that are wrong are blown out of proportion. “ . . . Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things,” the apostle Paul advises in Philippians 4:8.


Wow, what a meaningful insight into Philippians 4:8 :) It's one of my favourite verses, but for a long time, just saw it as something to work on, to think about... But not to forget that in the context of this letter that Paul wrote, it is a letter about joy. :) Joy even in the hardest situations, when you find yourself in situations that seem to not only do you bad, but even worse, seems to hinder the advance of God's Kingdom.

Like how I was sharing about my frustrations last week. But as one of my non-believing friends told me, one impression he has of Christianity is that all too often, we focus so much on sin and Christ's suffering, that it makes him feel even more depressed. (So why would he want to become a Christian and experience even more sadness?)

Truth be told, how many of us feel depressed because of some lack, some shortfall in our lives? Didn't even Jesus, while he was on the way to the cross, focus on the joy set before him, as he endured the shame of the cross? And didn't Paul and Silas sing for joy as they were in prison?

When we feel beset by our sinfulness, let's put it into its proper perspective... let's humbly accept the fact that we are beggars who have been made sons and daughters of God. Let us be as innocent as little children who run around unabashedly, rejoicing not in their own 'goodness', but in the goodness of their Father.

That reminds me. One of my friends, whom I shared Christ with in NUS, said that other Christians had tried to share with him before, but he was struck by my joy and the passion that I shared with him... hee hee! :) So I'll never forget those beautiful words that he told me: "Yeu Ann, I really thank God that He put you into my life!" :D

How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!


And joy is such a powerful attitude! Have there been times that you felt weak and weary, but upon listening to some joyful news or music or song, you were so energised, that you could do your work with all your heart unto the Lord?

O sing for joy! to God our strength!
Shout aloud! to the God of Jacob!


Joy is a wonderful testimony - in fact, I think it is one of the greatest testimonies that someone can have for Christ. "You shall go out with joy, and be led forth in peace!"

For joy shows the world that while it can throw everything it has at us... and take away everything from us, there is one thing that they can never take away from us - the love, joy and peace that comes from God the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Thus may the love of the Father, the joy of the Son and the peace of the Holy Spirit be with you! :)

No comments: