Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"S Asia millions face flood hunger"

Read about the floods in South Asia in today's newspapers, and felt very moved. Asked God, what can I do to help? And I've been trawling the Net to see how I can make a donation or something like that. Perhaps I shall ask my bros and sisters, and colleagues to see if they're interested in chipping in.

But meanwhile, I'm not sure how to get started, so I'm emailing UNICEF to ask. That, and a whispered prayer. My conscience won't let me go - how could I be eating at Cafe Cartel, happily stuffing myself, while children in Asia go hungry for the price of my Cafe Cartel meal?

Been inspired by one of the brothers' words, how our church needs to step out and engage this world - like Christ did. And also, the song by Delirious, "History Maker", during Festival of Praise - I was humming it to myself during lunch today. The multimedia that they used for accompanying the song really stirred my heart - it showed photomontages of famous people in history e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, Semporo Sugihara, etc. - and the juxtaposition of ordinary people like you and me, together with these sages of the ages - made me see this song in a brand-new light.

History Maker

Well it's true today that when people stand
With the fire of God, and the truth in hand
We'll see miracles, we'll see angels sing
We'll see broken hearts making history

Yes it's true and I believe it
We're living for you


So let there be another flood in Asia today - waves of kindness, waves of compassion. For little drops of water the mighty oceans make. And let the love of Christ flood the nations with grace and mercy. And let us do something to help our suffering neighbours today. Let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

No comments: