Thursday, August 16, 2007

another short note

Thank God for a wonderful time at today's unit 242. Alan taught us about spiritual dryness, that it's an integral part of the Christian life, and more importantly, know what is causing my dryness that i can get out of it asap. There's external and internal causes to spiritual dryness. Elijah, Job and even Jesus all experienced times of dryness (tho I think Jesus less so? :P because He kept in such close communion with His Father... yet in the Garden of Gethesmane... He did pray, "Not my will but Yours be done.")

Something that Alan shared struck me - that periods of sickness, difficulties and hardships are one factor that cause dryness. But the thing is, if your foundation in the Word of God is strong, actually, for him, these difficult times have been the times that helped him draw closest to God!

But to be balanced, prolonged times of hardship and suffering really sap even the strongest believer. Like what if you were one of the Korean hostages, imprisoned for a month in spartan conditions, knowing that your beloved pastor was killed?

Hmm... think thank God for His faithfulness, and Jinghe's prophecy too about the Lord breathing life into the valley of dry bones... wow. thank God. I think... by God's grace, i'm getting out of the valley - but only when I trust and enjoy His Word, and claim His promises.

For me, two things that I want to be watchful for: 1 external and 1 internal -
a. times of sickness, difficulties and hardships e.g. excessive OT
b. disappointments, which can cause me to start engaging in mind-numbing activities (e.g. net surfing till the late hours, playing computer games) so that i don't have to think about my disappointments, which in turn make me physically tired and spiritually dry

oh yes! a very dear friend made for me this wallpaper to brighten up my day. :D it's really very sweet! :D


yup... thank God for all His blessings that flow... and even when His blessings seem a bit sparse, His presence is already the greatest blessing that there is! :D

No comments: