Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Testimony! and Reflection...

Just really want to thank God for today's interview. :D Very touched... and it's not only because of the outcome, but a record of how God miraculously answered not only my prayer, but also Stanli's prayer (he's my prayer partner in my CG... and a wonderful bro to boot! :D) for me.

'Cos yesterday I was still feeling quite ambivalent about the NCS interview, thinking that it would be something more on Java programming, which I'm reasonably proficient in, but it's not something that I'm very passionate about as a long-term goal. Not at all.

But prayed to God last night, that if it's His will, He'll grant me my heart's desire, which is to work in web development stuff, since it's one of the possible options in line with the vision to impact the media industry for Christ.


Then the next day, I was at NCS, and starting to feel nervous again. Sweaty palms and dry lips - the classic signs. Told God that I'm feeling nervous again and I know I can't do anything much to control what's essentially a physiological reaction. Found it rather hard to stay focused in my prayer too. But hee, that's when I needed to pray most... when I least feel like praying! :)

Then a few minutes later, I was browsing through some NCS brochures when I decided to start praying in the Spirit. Just prayed, and when I sat back down, I suddenly realised that I wasn't feeling anxious anymore, even the physiological symptoms were so much better, and best of all, I was able to really stay focused in my prayers! :D

Then, suddenly, I got a beautiful SMSed prayer from Stanli. :D Hee, he had just prayed for me and my interview. :D Wow, think the sudden peace that I felt must have something to do with that prayer of his 'cos of the timing...

Thank God so much! :D

Oh yes... and the interview itself? Turns out that one of the interviewers told me that the job scope'll involve quite a bit of web development stuff, exactly what I want to do! :D Thank God so much for His grace... :D

Hee, so I'll know the outcome in 1 or 2 weeks time... pray for me yeah? :D That I'll follow Him in the path that He wants for me...

Just reminded again of this verse that God impressed on my heart about one or two months ago, when I was seeking Him for a clearer direction regarding His plans and direction for me, especially regarding my job search...

Psalm 37:3-6
"Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.


Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun."


I think each verse listed here is God's answer to me regarding His specific guidance for my life's direction, and the one in bold, that one was regarding my job search. Can see how God really is faithful, how He generously rewards all those who seek Him in faith, no matter how weak or small we may be.

I was thinking, perhaps could it be that each verse in Psalm 37 is meant as a signpost for my life ahead? Hee, not sure... but when you choose to walk in the centre of God's will, then you are in the safest place to be, even if God's will involves putting you right smack in the bottom of a 3000 degree-hot furnace (a bit hot, that)...

Daniel 3:13-18
Furious with rage, Nebuchadnezzar summoned Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. So these men were brought before the king, and Nebuchadnezzar said to them, "Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up? Now when you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes and all kinds of music, if you are ready to fall down and worship the image I made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you from my hand?"

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."


The outcome was a great miracle that every top Babylonian official, including King Neb, could see with their own eyes...

Yup, feel very encouraged by this testimony of God's faithfulness.

*******
Hmm... thinking now... what principles can I extract from this experience?

1. Think the first principle I can learn from this interview is not to 'smoke', but just be myself ... let my 'yes' be 'yes' and my 'no', 'no'. 'Cos when I started 'smoking' - i.e. using vague and impressive-sounding terms - one of the interviewers started asking me more specific and difficult questions to see what exactly I'm talking about.

Think something that caused me to want to make myself look bigger and more impressive in my interviewers' eyes was this fear that I might not get the job if the interviewers found out that I don't have the necessary knowledge or can't answer this question correctly. But Proverbs 16:13 came to my mind at that particular moment, "Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value a man who speaks the truth."

So realised that trying to make myself look more impressive in people's eyes to cover up my inadequacies is not good in God's eyes, because it reflects a lack of faith in Him to provide for me even when I am not able to provide for myself.

I found that when I simply said, "No, I don't know this particular piece of knowledge, but I want to learn it" or something to that effect, it does help make the interview much less stressful. Of course, I think the important thing here in interviews for fresh grads is to let the interviewer(s) sense your enthusiasm and sincerity, so do let them know that you are eager to give your best or whatever else is required.

2. Proverbs 16:26:
"The laborer's appetite works for him;
his hunger drives him on."


Think this proverb seems rather tautological (or as my Army officer would say, "motherhood statement!"), actually, think it's a powerful observation of what helps to motivate people - including phlegmatics like me. :)

Asked myself, do I have a hunger to want to do great things for God? A hunger for the spiritual things of God? As Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

A hunger to glorify God through my studies/work? To be honest, I think I didn't have very much hunger to glorify God in my studies, only till my 4th year. By then it was a bit late in the eyes of men, but in the eyes of our Father in heaven, it's never too late! :)

And hee, just want to share, just realised that I'm reaping the benefit of being a good student, even in my last semester, by causing one of my fellow group project mates to have a good impression of me as a result of my hard work in the group project... something that encourages me very much is that this friend is someone who has the potential to be a successful businesswoman in future... perhaps a future high-flyer... so really hope that I can be a good witness for Christ, not only on campus, but in the workplace in time to come! :D

Yup, think this is something that a dear brother in Christ who graduated from the uni ministry - a very brilliant high-flyer - shared with me last time, that to be honest, he feels that quite a number of Christians in the uni ministry that he knows are quite laid-back, and not wanting to do great things...

He was exclaiming that if non-Christians can be so driven and powerful, then we the people of God, especially since we have GOD HIMSELF with us, should be even more driven and powerful, hungrier to attempt even greater things for God!

Maybe it's idealistic... but I am sure it IS biblical to expect great things from God, to attempt great things for God. Because the apostle Paul, as he was praying that the Ephesian Christians would be powerfully impacted by the love of Christ through faith:
"For this reason I kneel... I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God..."


He suddenly burst out into a magnificent doxology:
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."


So dear friends, let us be hungry, hungry, hungry for the wonderful things of God... Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God! :D Amen and praise the Lord! :D

No comments: