Saturday, April 7, 2007

Good Friday Musings



It's very early in the morning as I type this.

Had a good Good Friday :) with my dear CG yesterday. Rayson joined us for lunch, and oh yeah, not forgetting that unforgettable moment in which Peter accidentally tricked me into chugging a bottle of vinegar. Yep, accidentally... haha... Thank God that I didn't spew out the stuff onto him! :P

Then watched The Reaping. Ok lah, but the ending was... well, they tried to put a twist there, but it didn't go down well - gave you that slightly twisted feeling in your stomach. :P

Then had dinner with Tai Heng. Thank God for Huaqiang, Sarah and Shawn who were there too. :) TH's coming for service tml. Thank God also for Guoxiong who asked him too.

Hmm. After all this busy week, just need to take a step back and ruminate about Christ's sacrifice for us on the cross.

Just reminded that God's love is also a very experiential thing. And how I need to draw closer to Him, into His hands.

Knelt down today before Him, partly also because I was getting increasingly frustrated about my slow progress in sending out resumes, plus having to handle errands and so on - which, together with my poor stewardship of time, and other concerns, made me increasingly snappier and more irritated the past few days.

And I think He simply reminded me to go back to Him. "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

And to stay my focus on Him, despite the occasional 'heart-flutter'. ;)

Listening to some beautiful worship songs. They made me think about Him. Of Him, actually. How I need to think of Him even more.

And read this TIME article about Albert Einstein's belief in a God. Though he didn't believe in the God of the Bible (both Christian and Jewish), he did believe in a higher force. Think the most admirable attitude that I learnt from him was his attitude of intellectual humility - that we need to recognize that we are limited, that we do not know everything.

Hee... it's not just a nice, pithy statement that he made, but also something he lived out in his intellectual thinking... e.g. his willingness to admit his 'Cosmic Blunder' - the insertion of a 'cosmological constant' to balance his equations, which he later on said to be "one of the greatest mistakes in [his] life."

And about atheists:
But throughout his life, Einstein was consistent in rejecting the charge that he was an atheist. "There are people who say there is no God," he told a friend. "But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views." And unlike Sigmund Freud or Bertrand Russell or George Bernard Shaw, Einstein never felt the urge to denigrate those who believed in God; instead, he tended to denigrate atheists. "What separates me from most so-called atheists is a feeling of utter humility toward the unattainable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos," he explained.

In fact, Einstein tended to be more critical of debunkers, who seemed to lack humility or a sense of awe, than of the faithful. "The fanatical atheists," he wrote in a letter, "are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres."


w00t! :) I guess ol' Einstein really was no fool. =)

And what he said about Jesus Christ in an interview:
To what extent are you influenced by Christianity? "As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene."

You accept the historical existence of Jesus? "Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

Wow... that is really so cool! :)

Just thinking about Jesus. Who is He, really, to me? Was reading about the Son of Man, and I'm just thinking about that too. Who is the Son of Man, and just why that title? Why would God choose to call Himself the Son of Man?

Utter humility, to say that you are the son of something you created. Crazy... and yet so meaningful.

Ha. Just some random musings, but yes, really want to just set aside my thinking for a while, and just ... think about Jesus Himself. Even if I were not a believer... at the very least, I shall go to the roadside, stand on tiptoe and take a look at this wounded man staggering under a heavy wooden block. Just To See For Myself.

No comments: