Tuesday, April 10, 2007

4 very meaningful articles that I saw just now

Wow, very meaningful, especially when I've been thinking about the feasibility of venturing into the realms of social entrepreneurship, especially in an increasingly globalized and - ahem - capitalistic economy. :P (Hey, just for the record, I'm not a communist ok...)

Live Deep: Reach Out to the Poor
Poverty is on display constantly in the news. It’s as far away as a distant continent and as close as your local city. But the sheer magnitude of the problem can overwhelm and paralyze you if you don’t see beyond poverty as an issue and get to know poor people themselves. When you build relationships with people living in poverty, you’ll begin to see that you can fight the monster of poverty by making a difference in individual lives.

Here’s how you can reach out to the poor:...


The "Culturally Savvy Christian"
Too often Christian responses to the arts fall into one of two categories: the Christian element is assumed and the resulting work is pale and insipid, not really discussing a Christian relationship to the arts, but merely a moral one. Or, the Christian element is emphasized so heavily that there really is no taking on of the arts on their own terms...


The Disposable Worker: Why Capitalism Needs Christianity
Last week, electronics retailer Circuit City announced that it was laying off 3400 employees.

What made these particular layoffs noteworthy was not their size but, instead, Circuit City's stated reasons. They had "nothing to do with skills or whether they were a good worker or not." Instead, "it was a function of their salary relative to the market."

In other words, Circuit City was laying them off so it could replace them with people who make less. Rotten!


And on a more personal note - this is very inspiring and exciting! Evangelism... :D
One Wallet's Witness
Monday morning found me exhausted even before I began. After flipping randomly through my Bible, I admitted, "Lord, You know how overloaded I feel this week. Please help me to slow down and experience Your presence. Lead me to someone who needs to see You in my life."

That afternoon, I returned a pair of sneakers to the store. “They’re the wrong size,” I explained to the young clerk, “and I can’t find another pair that fit.”

“Too bad,” she responded, as she counted back my refund. “There you go--$37.99.”

“Oh no,” I gasped, handing her back $18. “They were on sale last week for $19.99, remember?”

I heard two young men behind me mumble something about me “either being crazy or just plain stupid.”

“Thanks a lot,” the clerk said. “I guess you’re one of those honest types.”

“Well, I’m a Christian,” I replied matter-of-factly. As I tucked the $19.99 in my wallet, she thanked me again.

No comments: