Wednesday, April 11, 2007

But, on the other hand - How to Win the World without Losing Your Identity

On the other hand, after thinking through my previous post, let's look at the other side of the coin again.

Actually, my friend's got a point to make. Virtual worlds do make for hollow satisfaction.

Then, thinking again, I think there's a balance here. There are many reasons people choose to do such things... some really enjoy socializing and meeting people of other cultures e.g. I got to talk with some Japanese dude in real-time in Second Life, and also, it's a great way to learn new hobbies and interests... but also, other people seek community and sexual satisfaction by engaging in cyberfantasies and so on. So that's the dark side.

So, what to make of it?

I think first, we need to identify what's the need(s) that cause people to do this or that, whether it be DOTA gaming or gambling or sports or watching anime or reading or blogging :o). Some activities are healthy, others are ok, and yet others definitely not so.

Then thinking, it's not just the activities themselves, but the cultural and social contexts in which the activities are done.

Adrian Plass thoughtfully comments,
Someone came to see me a while ago and said, "I've done these talks for radio, and I know you've done some, so would you tell me what you think?"

I had a look at them, and they were OK, you know, but there was this one about the lottery. And it was more or less telling people 'You mustn't do the lottery, be a Christian instead.'

And I said to him, "You don't think it's just a little bit negative?"

And he said, "No...."

And I said, "Well, why do people do the lottery?"

He said, "To make money".

I said, "But it's more than that. Why do they really do the lottery?"

He said, "Well, I suppose they want something wonderful to happen."

I said, "Exactly, they want something amazing to happen in their lives. Something different and big."

He said, "Yeah, but the lottery's for money..."

I said, "Hold on, we haven't got there yet. What did Jesus promise his followers?"

He said, "Eternal life."

I said, "Yeah, but what else?"

He said, "Nothing."

I said, "He offered them riches."

He said, "No, he didn't."

I said, "What's treasure in heaven then?"

He said, "Yeah, well, but that's not money."

I said, "Hold on, we haven't got here yet. So you go to heaven, and what is the currency?"

He said, "Well, love, I suppose."

I said, "So you go to heaven, go to the Divine Bank, get a great wad of banknotes worth 5 million loves, and you go and spend them. So what you could say to people who do the lottery is:

'Your instincts are absolutely right. You want something wonderful to happen in your life, and you want to be rich. You are halfway there, to understanding why people follow Jesus.'"


So then I said to him, "Are you going to use that?"

And he said, "No, I don't think so."

Because it feels unsafe, as if you're moving away from the gospel, whatever that is.

That's a rather C.S. Lewis approach, that these delights that can be distractions from God are also gifts from God to point us the way to him. But he also said that he wouldn't recommend a religious writer to use a comic genre, because it's not appropriate to the message. Does that surprise you?

Well, I think that's an extraordinary comment from Lewis, who used comedy an enormous amount to convey truth. I think it was a question of fashion as well at the time. In the 50s would have had trouble telling more than the old Anglican jokes, but in the 80s and 90s it's very different.

But comedy without passion would be a very hollow thing in the church. I think people are sometimes disappointed to find that I am a passionate Christian, rather than a don't-care piss-taker. I can sense they don't like the Christian faith and they'd like me to support them in that, and I can't. It's the most important thing in my life.


I agree wholeheartedly with what Plass says, 'cos Jesus Himself used that approach to evangelise to the Samaritan woman (John 4).

Hmm. To be honest, I think I've been applying this principle bit by bit in my outreach, and yeah, it does seem to work, to make some people more interested in finding out more about Christ (yay! :D)...

Well, different strokes for different people. :) And no matter which approach we take, as long as we abide by God's rules, we're all in this together. :)

In the end, I think it's our own lives that people will look at - simply because it may be the only time they actually get to see the Good News for what it really is - whether it works as advertised.

But just to encourage you all - including myself - even tho we all are inadequate and fail big-time at times, Christ's love is so powerful that if those who don't know His love yet take just one look... I do believe that that's already more than enough! :D if just even a tiny dose of sunshine gives light and warmth to a darkened room... how much more a shining city on a hill! :D

No comments: