Sunday, April 8, 2007

Just finished typing some stuff for my ma again. :)

On Saturday, went with my dad to visit my old school principal (Sister Anne, from Canossian School for the Hearing-Impaired). Visiting the place brought back many memories. Sister Anne was so delighted to see me. She still looks the same, with her firm no-nonsense jaw-set and sure determination in her eyes, albeit much whiter hair. We chatted a while, and at the end of the conversation, she shook my hand firmly, and said so glad to see you, and how you've been - and embraced me. Touched.

She told us about another Sister, Sister Maria Evan, an Italian nun, who took care of me back a long time ago. Sister Maria Evan? Her name didn't ring a bell. In fact, couldn't even find a bell to ring. ;P

But in search of her, we traipsed over to St. Anthony's Home and found her there. When Sister Maria came into the room, I saw a petite, but lively lady with many laugh lines on her wrinkled face. She looked at me with a slightly puzzled look, while trying to remember who I was. Then my dad told her, "He's Yeu Ann."

And her eyes suddenly opened wide, and she gasped in surprised delight. She embraced me and pumped my hand in delight. I think what they say about Italians being passionate and exuberant really is so true. :)

"Oh! It's you! Look at you! You were so small! Now you are so big! How have you been!"

Wow, can't forget those laughing gray eyes of her... she regaled me with many stories about the past, and about how quiet I was last time, and how I will go running here and there, and how I was so attached to the library, always preferring to read books than to play with the other children...

Then she blessed me with drinks for me and my dad. She's been here in Singapore as a missionary for 43 years already. Wow...

Soon, it was time to say goodbye. And as we walked out, I saw other nuns cheerfully greeting some visitors, and I felt so blessed by their warmth and sincerity. Honestly, the old-age home really felt so warm and so full of love and joy.

I thought about it, and couldn't help but be struck by the stark differences between some of the old-age homes that I've visited before. Each home seems to have a certain flavour to it, and some seem very dreary, while others are so warm, that I think you wouldn't mind staying there. :)

I think it's the love of Christ and devotion in these Sisters that really make a huge difference. That, and also the close sense community that I could see in the residents, and the open-door policy that lends ... a very "campus" feel to the whole place. Hee! Yup, the old-age home reminded me of a certain hall in NUS... :) except that it's much nicer than the hall... haha!

Also very inspired by how these women have devoted their lives to serving God by serving the poor... touches my heart a lot. :)

God and people... Christ and His church... they really do make a difference to this world.

No comments: