Thursday, March 4, 2010

Principles, principles, principles.

Rely not on prophecy alone, but on God's pure promises AND principles as stated in the Word.

Hmm... yes... so true...

1 Corinthians 14:29
Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.

I guess I feel embarrassed at not being wiser to ask someone else for confirmation regarding this. Oh God, I feel so stupid.


Still, on a more personal level, I think I also feel a bit of a disappointment personally. I guess it's because I was hoping for more involvement of God in my life... that there could be something as dramatic as God speaking so real and directly... in our time and age...

I guess I want see the presence and person of God in my life, far more than I want His promises and His providence, even. Actually yes. 'Cos in this day and age, I guess sometimes for all the testimonies about God's providence... I guess we share so much about the providence and power of God that we forget to share how present God was in our situations.

So I guess I feel disappointed actually. But well, see how God works. I do believe that perhaps God can do the same things in today's 21st century church that He did in the era of the New Testament church.

Reminded of Billy Graham's response when a critic accused him of trying to set the church back 50 years. Graham listened, and then humbly replied, "I am deeply ashamed. I have been trying to set the church back 2000 years." In context I think he was talking about Christian grace... as practiced in the New Testament. But yeah, I also am thinking about God's presence and power... could the Acts of the Holy Spirit ever happen in Singapore? Could He? Would He? Should He?

No comments: