Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Documentary-Making Can Be Such A Pleasure!

Now making a video for my company's social entrepreneurship project. As I watch the interview videos, thank You Father... I'm reminded again of why I joined this company to work as an intern. It's so meaningful, being able to use your skills to bless the little ones, especially those who lack confidence... grateful to be able to be part of this meaningful work. =D

Plus, making this video trains me in my documentary-making skills. I realise I love to make documentaries actually. Think it's the influence from one module that I took in uni... "Ethnographic Analysis of Visual Media". Hee. Told my lecturer (she's from London, with the accompanying accent) that what she taught helped me see the world in a new way, and she smiled and said that it was rewarding to know that she helped to make a difference in a small way.

Documentaries! Storytelling. Children. Social issues. Ah... now I see another piece of the puzzle coming together. =D Haha... a timely refreshment from God as I plow on.

Anyway, an important documentary principle I'm learning experientially:
Focus on a small group of children that the audience can identify with. It is essential that if you want the documentary/story to be impactful, the audience must feel an emotional connection with the humanity of the people. Just because it's a real-life event doesn't mean that you cannot draw a story out of it. And no, you don't need to dramatise or, God forbid, make use of "artistic license". Life itself is already more than interesting enough, if only you are sharp enough to see.

No comments: