Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Today, Tai Heng and I met up with an old school friend whom we'd not seen in ages. It was a good time of catching up with this old friend.

Thank God... it was an encouraging time. When our friend shared about some problems that he'd experienced at work (namely, not-so-nice colleagues), Tai Heng suddenly turned to me and asked, "Yeu Ann, think you've been through working experience too... so how do you handle this kind of problem at work?"

Whoa! Think it was a God-given opportunity to share more about how my Christian faith helps me in my workplace experience... so dashed a prayer off to God in my heart, thought for a while and Jesus' words came to mind: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..."

So shared my testimony of how this verse has helped me in my workplace relationships...

And hee, thank God so much, Tai Heng looked terribly impressed, saying, "Hmm, I think that's a very well-thought answer."

(High-five, Daddy! :))

Our Dear Old Friend, in a later part of our chat, reminisced what I was like back during secondary school days, when I would "talk about X-rated stuff", and how I was constantly being laughed at by the others because of my weird mannerisms, and so on.

And then he said these words, "But I can see that ever since you've become a Christian, your Christian faith has benefited you a lot... etc. etc."

Felt very thankful, because this friend of ours is a self-professed atheist. And I said, "Thank GOD." :)

But something that our friend kept on talking about was the injustice that he sees in so many events, whether it be the workplace or the world, and how he has tried so hard to analyse the reason for the human condition, but has failed to find any answers.

It kept on bugging me, especially when I was reading Ravi Zacharias' passage just now. This is what he wrote:
I was asked to speak at the United Nations for their prayer breakfast for a second time, and they gave me a tougher subject than the first one. I was to speak on “Navigating with Absolutes in a Relativistic World”—at 6:30 in the morning! I was asked to do this in twenty-five minutes and given one other requirement: don’t talk much about religion because people from all faiths will be there. I said, “I’ll do it, but on one condition. Eighteen minutes, your talk; seven minutes, why my belief in God answers these questions.” I spoke on the search for absolutes in four areas: evil, justice, love, and forgiveness.

“We all want to define what evil is,” I said. “We have people here calling other nations evil. We all want to know what evil is. You’re a society that’s supposedly looking for justice. You’ve left your families, and you miss them because you love them. And some of you are going to blow it big time with ethics; you hope the rest of your peers are willing to forgive you, and you want to know on what basis. Evil, justice, love and forgiveness.


My friend had been concerned with the problem of evil and the question of justice.

To continue Ravi's words:
They’re all nodding. I said, “I want you to think for a moment. Is there any event in history where these four converged in one place? It happened on a hill called Calvary, where evil, justice, love, and forgiveness converged.”

There was pin drop silence. With five minutes left, I spoke on the cross of Christ and how the cross shows the heart of man, how the cross came because of the justice of God, how the cross demonstrates to us the very love of God, and how we find at the end of the day that without his forgiveness we would never make it. At the end one ambassador confessed, “My country’s atheistic. I don’t even know why I came here. Today I have my answer. I came here to find God.” That is the power of the cross.


Huaqiang gave Tai Heng a printed copy of this article on Sunday - that's how I came to know about this article.

And I am still thinking about what our friend shared with us. I think maybe I should email him the article... will he want to read it? Lord, help us please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i love that article from ravi. I left me with much food for thought!

It makes me really wonder, if we are given a short 7 mins to present God to the world (even the whole world like the UN), what would i say and how would i say it?

Hm...

Anonymous said...

Hey zachary! Yah, i love that article too. :)

and oh! that's a good question... i'm not sure how i'd share Christ with the U.N.... but wow, that would really be a wonderful challenge! :D

oh yeah, just to say that i like your blog - very interesting and thought-provoking articles bro. thank God for you...