Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Faithfulness

Luke 16:10
"He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is
unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much."

Recently, some people pointed out to me, both at work and in church, that made me start thinking about my own attitude. Simply put, I extremely lack faithfulness. When things become difficult, I start complaining in my heart and become reluctant to carry on. It's the heart attitude that really counts. It's the same whether in ministry, or in family, or in work.

Thank God that He has been showing me... oh that I'm so deaf to His words.

Frankly, when I assess my life, I know that I could have been much more for Christ, but I didn't - simply because others couldn't trust me to finish whatever's been given me.

What is faithfulness, really? It is simply sticking to the path you know you are duty-bound to take, even when the going gets tough.

Lord, it's been so many years that I have been unfaithful in many small things. Many, many times You gave me chances... but I have constantly been flopping these chances. Oh God! What am I going to do?

Someone said that "Unbelief, then, is the root of all unfaithfulness." And as I think about it... it's true. Because when the Bible tells me to work at whatever I'm doing with all my heart, as working for the Lord... it tells me also that Jesus Himself will reward me.

So if I do not believe that He will reward me in due time for my hard work, then the symptoms will be clear: I become lazy and not willing to work hard even when the going gets tough. In other words, I am not having faith in Him.

Oh God. How am I going to ever going to become a faithful man? It is so deeply ingrained in my nature, this lack of faithfulness. I don't even trust myself to be faithful to myself... the moment I say, I want to be faithful... and when the time of testing come, I betray my own promise to myself. Even to myself.

Wait. What did I say? "I want to be faithful." But I didn't say, "I will be faithful." YA, do you really desire to please God? "Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him." Do you want to commit yourself to being faithful, to put your hand on the plow and not look back?

No comments: