Friday, January 4, 2008

First Week of 2008

Thank God it's Friday! :) Just came back from having my teeth cleaned and polished *gleaming smile*.

It's been a great relaxed last week of 2007, thank God, and honestly, was in a very holiday mood when I came back to work. Something I want to thank God for was a comment one of my colleagues made, when I asked him to evaluate me on my work so far... and especially whether the team found me irritating (that was something I'm really worried about, due to my past experiences)... he broke out into a big grin and said, "Actually, it's quite fun having you around."

Hee! Thank God so much... was very, very surprised, 'cos I'm one of the quietest guys around in my team... hmm... think one reason I do want to get along well with my colleagues is that I want to be able to bless them more, so that can show God's love to them in the workplace. Thank God for Ruey Fong's suggestion that, even though I may be very quiet, I can bless my colleagues by doing small things "behind-the-scenes" to bless them. Like remembering their birthdays, for example. :D

It was awfully relieving to hear my colleague's comment. And no, I don't think he was pulling my leg; he's a frank and straightforward person. :) So am grateful to my heavenly Daddy for His grace to me here indeed... hee!

On the other hand, I really have to breakthrough in prioritization and working more urgently. 'Cos these two weaknesses of mine cause me to become very slow in my work. My colleague was telling me that these two are holding me back from performing to my best. "It's not that you can't program," he said, "you're really very good in programming... gifted even! But you really need to work on your prioritization, etc."

Groaned inwardly when I heard that, but reflected about this... yah it's true... and Proverbs 3:3-4 reminded me:
"Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man."

And Weizhu confirmed it later, when I asked him over the phone.

Actually, something very interesting. WZ said, "Remember our LAN game, the Company of Heroes game we were playing? You had a bigger army than me, but I was pushing ahead first... and waiting for you to start pushing! But somehow you didn't get going... so in the end I did the pushing. So maybe it's because you were too busy focusing on capturing points, etc... but to win the game, you just need to invade and defeat the enemy."

"So perhaps it's not the lack of work in itself so much as you focus on the less-important things..."

Thinking about that, I analysed my style of working... yah it's very true - I get easily distracted, when I'm programming, on unnecessary details... e.g. performing optimization tasks on very trivial details (i mean, saving 4 bytes of memory for a 1 gigabyte system is, well, to put it lightly, stupid of me.)

Yeah... actually, it's another pattern I observed in me... often the main reason I procrastinate is because of fear that I'll do something wrong... and even when i start, often i get distracted by less-impt details.

So... this year... with God's help, I'll grow in this area... need to major on the major, minor on the minor! :)

Anyway, another thanksgiving! Got to make a new friend yesterday in the office. I'd brought my guitar to office to practise, and turns out that this guy, Hanfai (sounds like "Hi-Five"), likes guitar too. And he taught me how to do proper finger-picking, and even the staple chords for almost any Chinese song. :) And he plays a very nice Jay Chou guitar piece. w00t! :)

so that's something really want to thank God for this week! :) yeah!

No comments: