Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thank God for Thanksgivings....

Not the one with turkeys, but just for the power and joy of giving thanks to God! :)

Thank God for a dear friend's prayer last night. :) Firstly, thank God for my friend's offer to pray for me. I was very touched and blessed. Secondly, thank God also for the prayer itself. In response to my request to grow in character, my friend prayed that God will put me through situations to stretch and mould me in character. Initially I was quite surprised, 'cos wasn't what I had in mind, asking to be put into difficult situations to stretch me... but realised, of course, Daddy knows best! :D So am very thankful to God for this dear friend's prayer for me. :)

And I just want to thank God for this friend too. I'm very encouraged by how this friend has responded in face of the difficult situation that this friend is facing. Indeed, the words "courageous love" comes to mind. Thank God for this dear friend, who really is a living example of courageous Christlike love! Just want to say how proud I am of this friend. :)

Something that struck me as I made this observation is that actually, when we go through difficult times, others will be witnessing, watching us to see how we choose to respond. In fact, how we respond during difficult times can be a much greater witness and testimony to those around us, much more than visible blessings upon our lives. Even during the Roman era, when Christians were being persecuted by the Roman Empire, some of the soldiers who guarded the Christians were so moved by the Christians' love and patient suffering, that they themselves chose to become Christians too.

I remember reading this story of a Roman soldier who was assigned to guard a Christian condemned to die by beheading. The Roman watched how patiently the Christian responded even in the face of death, that when the time came for the Christian's execution, the Roman guard suddenly knelt down together with his prisoner and asked that he too die as a Christian.

And I read another testimony. This one is of Watchman Nee, a Chinese pastor who was severely beaten and imprisoned by the Red Guards during the Cultural Revolution. As he sat singing in prison with a broken leg, his guard heard his singing and became very worried for him.

"Why are you singing? Are you that ill?"

"No, my dear friend, I am not that ill. Though my body is broken, but my spirit is not broken, for it is Christ's love that sustains me."

Then the watchman exclaimed, "Pastor, your words are like hammers knocking at the door of my heart! What must I do to be saved?"

"My dear friend! You have made a wonderful choice! Listen!" And the prisoner Watchman Nee began to sing to the watchman a beautiful hymn about Jesus...


Thank God also for the time with Xiaochuan, and the good chat we had. Very blessed by his asking me out for dinner, and the chance to catch up with him, and learn from him about things in life. :)

Oh yes! Not one but two wonderful things at work today: one of my superiors, think he was blessed by my email to him asking about his dad, 'cos I heard his dad was sick... told him I'll keep his dad in prayer. So he asked my team leader to help him say thanks. Feel very thankful, 'cos really want to be a blessing to my colleagues, to be a better salt and light there.

Thank God also for the idea that He gave me during work, which with the help of another colleague turns out to be a REAL time-saver... we implemented it successfully, so we're planning to submit this idea as an implemented work improvement suggestion. Praise God for His grace! :D

And finally, thank God also for Hong Teck, who encouraged me to start a daily thanksgiving list. :D Thank God for Hong Teck's personality, which is ultra-encouraging to me, because both of us have similar personalities... so when I see how far this man of God has gone in his walk with the Lord, I am very encouraged to discipline myself likewise. "Follow [Hong Teck's] example as [he] follows the example of Christ."

Thank You Jesus! :D

No comments: