Saturday, January 26, 2008

Purity

Just sitting here and thinking about Huaqiang's questions today regarding my commitment to children's ministry:

"What are your plans for your own development?
How will the ministry help you to mature in Christ?
How do you disciple [the children] to be strong and biblical adults in future?
How can you be a good example to them? (concern with your personal development)?"


At first, I was a bit surprised, wondering whether HQ was saying that I was becoming too committed to children's ministry. But realised that's not what he meant; but rather, he's asking me to consider how this ministry fits into the greater picture of my own development.

Then asked myself, "What is the reason that I should plan for my own development? What should my primary motivation in developing myself be?"

Together with that, I was also thinking about my prayer team's prayer list for the weekend (I'm in the team) regarding holiness and purity.

Then this verse suddenly popped to mind as I was reflecting:
2 Timothy 2:20-21
In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.


Oh! Thank you Lord. The verses in italics spoke to me clearly, telling me that the key understanding for me in why I should plan for my own development is that He wants me to be deliberate and intentional in training myself to be godly. To keep myself pure and holy. To grow from strength to strength. To make myself ready for the Master to take on every good work, no matter how difficult or challenging it is.

Then my life will not be unnecessarily unhindered by acts of aimless procrastination or wandering. Or constant thoughts of BGR, as the world is so wont to do. (It's not that I'm aiming for celibacy per se, but rather, I want to be the best kind of man for my future wife, so that together we can really extend the Kingdom of God even better than we both can separately. And that our relationship can be used by God to bring much joy to all those around us.)

To put it in a more homely manner, will I choose to be a shiny and beautiful computer, or will I choose to be a $1 toilet brush?

Refiner's Fire
Purify my heart
let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart,
let me be as gold, pure gold

CHORUS:
Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
is to be holy
set apart for You Lord.
I choose to be holy
set apart for you my master,
ready to do your will.


Oh yes. Character's really crucial if you want to be salt and light in the workplace.

So dear Lord, please help me this year make a breakthrough in planning for my own development. Thank You for putting in this heart of mine an increasing desire to be pure and holy... I can see it really is Your sanctifying work in my heart, Holy Spirit. :) Isn't it so wonderful when one sees abstract theological terms come to life in a person's heart? Praise God for all His signs and wonders! In Jesus' name, Amen!

No comments: