Tuesday, August 8, 2006

"People, who need people / Are the luckiest people in the world..."

Was a very fun day today. :) Helped out as a "Councillor" for my OG (Pharos oh-lei-ah-ah!), and got to know quite a few freshmen. It's been fun bonding closer with my fellow OGLs, and working together to help the freshies feel welcome... and at home with one another too (not easy when we've got 4 cliques in our own OG).

Anyway, today was especially memorable, because after 4 years, I went down for the annual Freshmen Inauguration Ceremony (FIC) at University Cultural Centre (UCC). Brought back memories of my own FIC. We got a nice folder each - same type as the one I got in 2004.

This year's FIC was much more dramatic and livelier than that of '04. Imagine, when Prof Shih, the NUS Pressie, presented the various Hall heads to the students, the students from their halls would stand up and wildly applaud... screaming and what-not. Prof Shih really looked very amused. And who'd imagine that the Dean of Dentistry would receive such rapturous applause? Very interesting! (Well, our own Dean of SoC got a little bit too... haha... not that we don't appreciate him, but we're a quieter bunch, us geeks. It's more uber that way. ;))

Found some of the songs during FIC very touching. I especially like this song - "People" - it really spoke to me about the value of relationships - to treasure the friendships - not only in church, but also in NUS - that I've made. Thank God for friends like Si Seng, Selwyn, Indra, Cuong, Zhenfeng, Vincent and countless other people too that God has blessed me with in these 4 years in NUS... and that's not including my precious brothers and sisters...

People
"People,
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world
We're children, needing other children
And yet letting a grown-up pride
Hide all the need inside
Acting more like children than children

Lovers are very special people
They're the luckiest people in the world
With one person one very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you were half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst

But first be a person who needs people
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world
With one person one very special person
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who needs people
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world..."


This song reminded me of how much Christ has changed my perspective towards people since I asked Him into my heart 8 years ago. 'Cos I'm introverted by nature, and would prefer to stay all day in a library and read... but yeah, ever since He touched my heart... through the love and lives of my brothers and sisters, my shepherds and leaders... I've come to realise that yes, I really can't live alone by myself - "It is not good for the man to be alone..." - I need people. Forget the idea of the individualistic, self-sufficient and self-made man - it simply doesn't work that way - no more than a hand or head or leg can be self-sufficient on its own.

And that's why I love the final part:
But first be a person who needs people
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world...

No comments: