Friday, August 18, 2006

Think globally, act locally.

Yufen was sharing during CG about how she reads the newspapers. So was reading the newspapers today, and thinking about the news... or rather, was trying to think.

Then it struck me. Actually, the main thread of thought that keeps running through my mind when I read the news is: "What's it all got to do with me? None of my business, really."

Think this is the first step that I've got to overcome before I can really develop a heart for the world, like God has (John 3:16). To recognise and acknowledge my 'bo-chup'ness.

That reminds me of something else today. My lecturer was commenting about the behaviours and mindsets of Singaporeans (she's a Singaporean herself, but migrated to USA 10 years back, but returned to Singapore to lecture) at international events.

She explained why she was so against students messaging during her lectures - "it shows disrespect for the speaker" - but went on to explain that in other countries, e.g. the USA, Singaporeans have been caught SMSing while the speaker was speaking. And the speaker, when he/she heard that the culprits were Singaporeans, had a very bad impression of Singaporeans.

And she made us laugh about how Singapore tends to really pomp up international conferences - hours of ceremonies with ministers giving speeches, and pressing buttons to launch super-lame multimedia shows - while taking up the foreign delegates' valuable time before they can get to the conference talks proper. And the multimedia shows... oh, if you really do want to show the multimedia, do it well! because the shows simply do not reflect well enough on Singapore's true professionalism.

She also shared with the class about her initial difficulties in adapting to American culture there, and the reality of the discrimination that she faced, and how she overcame some of the discriminations by learning to speak better English in a better way. So something that I learnt from her was the importance of speaking up and articulating one's ideas clearly - something that holds true across any culture. Just like what the Bible says, that the tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

These two experiences made me realise what Pastor Jeff was telling us last week about Singapore being so small, that we tend to become very narrow-minded - so we need to be more aware of the many other cultures that lie outside our "little red dot".

If Singapore, as a nation, really wants to make an impact as a player on the international stage, then we need to practise thinking outside our "comfort zone" when it comes to other cultures.

Hmm... how can I start?
*******

Well, I guess as a university student, I've heard lots of complaints from my fellow Singaporean course-mates about how the Chinese students tend to own the top grades, and how 'chao-mugger' they can be. Yup, I understand how they feel - I'm a Singaporean too! (and proud of it!) - but I think they're missing out on the potential to learn a lot from their Chinese counterparts.

Back in my stay in Ridgeview Residences, I had the wonderful opportunity to make friends with my next-door neighbour, Tianfang. Sometimes, late in the night, I would just drop by to chat with him. One night, I happened to see a photo of an older woman on his desk, and asked him about it. He said, "That's my mother... she died of cancer."

And so from that conversation began a story of his life. I got to know Tianfang better - not as a "Chinese" national, but simply as a fellow human. I realised that I had a lot to learn from his courage in stepping out from his hometown in northern China, his sorrow when his mum died while he was in a far-away land, his lighter moments and his exciting times...

Through all that sharing, I was struck by his simple heart and humility - so different from the stereotype of the 'arrogant' Chinese guy. Well, stereotypes DO exist with a reason... but I guess the main point of what I'm saying is that I got to know the real guy behind the "national" image that I had of him originally.

And I found that, in the end, we were simply two men, with two very different life experiences and cultures to share with one another.

*******

So I guess, if we want to be able to step out of our "island" mentality, well, the fact is we DO have an island mentality, and we can't help it - we were born here. So we might as well acknowledge it... and start exploring further.

Yup, still have lots to explore, but really want to learn more from other people, including foreigners - not just the Westerners, but also the Easterners... have a lot to learn from others!

Must remember the key purpose why I want to learn though... it's because God loves all the peoples of the world - so much that He gave His one and only Son to pay the full price for their sins... and commanded us to go to every corner of the earth to tell them the good news about Him! Yeah and amen!

No comments: