Sunday, February 28, 2010

Heal The World, One Soul At A Time

On a happier note, I'm finally catching up with my two new friends - Daniele and Wanda, the couple from Europe, tomorrow! :D So glad God gave me the opportunity to connect with them and help them feel welcome. It was just a simple chat (though it took me courage to do so, because they are foreigners and I did feel inadequate due to my accent and my Singaporeanized English...), and the couple really enjoyed talking with me. Very blessed by them too!

Hee. It reminds me that as long as we're willing to step out and connect with people... to make friends with them so that we can share the love of Christ with them through word and deed, God WILL help us. He promised!

Because I remember that when I was in NS, I had to take 1.5 hours ride daily from my home to my workplace. My then-shepherd encouraged me to be more evangelistic, so every morning before I went to work, I would pray that God would use me to reach out to people on the bus. And God actually blessed my efforts! He gave me a very simple but ingenious and natural way to initiate conversations with strangers... ask them for the time! It was made much easier as I didn't wear a watch. I still don't to this day. And out of my outreach during my NS days... I have one bro who came to know Christ and is now in another church, and another bro, Raymond, who is in my church. (He was in WZ's CG before.)

So a lesson from my reflections is that God is able to make use even of my lacks (that is just how powerful and how good He is!), if I have the heart and willingness and the obedience to step out and take the initiative to connect with others to bless them. Not to convert them, for that role belongs to the Holy Spirit. But to make friends with them, because we see them as Jesus does - people who are made in the image of God and worth dying for. To, in Michael Jackson's beautiful song "Heal The World":
 There's a place in your heart 
And I know that it is love
And this place could be much
Brighter than tomorrow.
And if you really try
You'll find there's no need to cry

In this place you'll feel
There's no hurt or sorrow.
There are ways to get there
If you care enough for the living
Make a little space, make a better place. 
Yes, there are ways to get there, if we care enough for the living, if we really try. We can always improve, we can always grow, and we are not perfect definitely. But we have been commissioned already by the Lord Jesus himself in Matthew 28:18-20, so just start today and keep on growing... and going! So let's make a little space for our fellow neighbour (be they local or foreign - all got talent sia), so that we can make this world a better place. Heal the world, one soul at a time! :D

No comments: