Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Something else too. I was just reflecting. So far this year I've attempted to establish a few initiatives, but now find myself tired and frankly, rather discouraged. And even the strength from God seems to be fading away.

So I took some time to seek God in prayer. And truth be told, it was very hard for me to stay focused. You won't believe the stuff my mind flies into. Like... the latest Terminator movie suddenly played a free trailer in my mind. And I started imagining myself as one of the Resistance, victoriously blasting a Hunter-Killer to smithereens... and then I remember, OI! I'm supposed to be praying!!!

So I instantly terminated all the Terminators and switched back... Hasta la vista...

And so on and so forth.

Finally, I gasped off a prayer. Told God that I'm just too distracted. Prayed that He'll speak to me through the Bible.

Read, and ... nothing very clear from God so far. But funnily enough, I just felt more settled and quieter after reading the Bible.

Perhaps it's something like our physical stomachs. It's hard to focus when your physical stomach is grumbling for food. So what do you do? You makan. Yum-yum. And whoosh! you're all set to take on the world again!

Same way with our souls. We need God's Word like a car needs petrol. And when we have the yummy word of God to chew upon, our souls become quieter and less distracted, like a weaned child with its mother.
Psalm 131 (NLT)
1 Lord, my heart is not proud;
my eyes are not haughty.
I don’t concern myself with matters too great
or too awesome for me to grasp.
2 Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself,
like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk.
Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, put your hope in the Lord—
now and always.

No comments: