Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Have Holy Communion, Will Time Travel

Was thinking about Ps Simon. During DMM, HQ commented that Ps Simon is very full of joy.

So it led me to think about how we want to use visual aids to help people understand and capture key lessons and/or values and truths.

I think one of the most powerful visuals would be your own life example. So, e.g. if you want to inspire people to be excited for God, and the things of God, then our faces should be radiating with eagerness and enthusiasm whenever we talk about serving God!

Otherwise, if we think only about the "how-tos", then it often becomes a case of dispensing "head" knowledge - necessary, but not necessarily effective.



Hee. I remember last time, during my younger days as a Christian, to be honest, I was quite lost, when younger Christians asked me how to experience God, and feel His love.

So I simply dispensed the standard "ten-years-series" answers, but it didn't really answer the questions of their hearts. And I myself wasn't sure of the answer. How to find God? Talk about blind leading the blind! Experiencing God became degenerated into a "spiritual set of recipes".

But thank God so much for his marvellous mercy to me. After my dark, dark valley experience during my NUS days... after repenting and turning back to God on 1 Sep 2005 onwards, whoa, somehow God used all those painful memories, losses and struggles to show me. And of course, and most crucially, it was the Word that opened my eyes.

Then, after that valley experience, wow, God used me to help a few others who were struggling in spiritual ruts... and to encourage the younger ones. Also realised that genuine spirituality is measured by how much you love God and love people, not by the roles or activities that you undertake. Not even the callings that God has given me. How I am with God is far more important that what I do for Him.

Otherwise I may end up idolizing the callings and giftings that God gives. Which is very bad.

The callings will become clearer when you draw near to the One who's calling. Logical, right? Haha... if I want God to show me His specific calling for me, then perhaps I should draw nearer to God first. 'Cos it seems that God likes to deliberately speak in a still, soft whisper. So that his children will have to draw nearer and nearer to Him... until His face is so close to theirs. :) Ain't God cool?

Thank God for the wonderful leaders He's placed in my life, and those who aren't my direct leaders, but serve as a wonderful inspiration and motivation for me. They show that they really live up to their divine callings to be shepherds of God's flock, serving as overseers, not because they must, but because they're willing. Not lording by pushing authority or seniority, but by setting example in humility... which awes and amazes me.




Anyway! Talking about visual aids, that led me on to another train of thought. (I think my mind is like an MRT interchange... trains of thoughts keep going in and out...) We often use various aids in Holy Communion to help us remember.

And... I realise that quite often, we feel paiseh to tell others about the changes God has wrought in our hearts, especially good things and character virtues that we've never done before, but somehow got started in doing...

But shouldn't it be great to share about the good works that God has done in us? 'Cos we're giving all the credit and glory to God anyway, by telling others that what the good they see in us, is totally not us, but Christ who lives in us. It strengthens both the listener's and the sharer's faiths.

So... what's the link to Holy Communion, given all this testimony sharing?

I think the similarity lies in the understanding that since we revisit the fact that we used to be really, really messed-up people before Christ saved us... and that all the good things that others see flowing from us - these good things don't come from us, but from Christ who lives in us. Thus every time we give the glory to God for all the good things that we do in His name... we are indirectly declaring that apart from Him, we are no good... "No one is good, except God alone." So, in a way, we do revisit the fact that we once were lost. A continual reminder that we once were not God's people... time travel, if you will.

So in the same way, when we eat and drink the Lord's Supper, we revisit and re-enact that sacred moment when the Lord Jesus instituted Holy Communion. And as we eat and drink, we, like the Israelites during their Passovers, are transported back into time to re-enact that first Lord's Supper. And we are reminded of what we once used to be, before Jesus saved us from our sins.

For whenever we eat and drink of the Lord's Supper, we proclaim His death until He comes.

So, in a way then, it's a really powerful visual aid, the Holy Communion, to help us remember the Lord's death for us - and the accompanying salvation and sanctificaton that would follow shortly after.

Ok I think it's rambling now, and I can't figure out how to end this post properly. =)

No comments: