Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I was talking with Huaqiang about something today. He helped me see that I was starting to lose focus on what I should be doing, even though I'm very excited about new things coming up.

I was stunned, and thought about it for a while. Thank God so much for pointing out to me through this dear bro.

Faithfulness.

What is faithfulness like?

Faithfulness is more than just keeping promises and being able to be counted on to deliver what you've promised.

Really.

It's about staying committed all the way to the very end.

I think one of the greatest tests of faithfulness, is not at the beginning, nor in the middle of the race. It's at the end of the race, when the finishing line is in sight. It's near the end of the Pilgrim's Progress, when the Celestial City is so very near...
They went on then in this Inchanted Ground till they came to where there was another Arbor, and it was built by the High-way side. And in that Arbor there lay two men whose names were Heedless and Too-bold. These two went thus far on Pilgrimage, but here being wearied with their Journey, they sat down to rest themselves, and so fell asleep. When the Pilgrims saw them, they stood still, and shook their heads, for they knew that the sleepers were in a pitiful case. Then they consulted what to do, whether to go on and leave them in their sleep, or to step to them and try to awake them. So they concluded to go to them and awake them, that is, if they could; but with this caution, namely, to take heed that themselves did not sit down nor imbrace the offered benefit of that Arbor.

So they went in and spake to the men, and called each by his name, (for the Guide it seems did know them) but there was no voice nor answer. Then the Guide did shake them, and do what he could to disturb them. Then said one of them, I will pay you when I take my Mony. At which the Guide shook his Head. I will fight so long as I can hold my Sword in my hand, said the other. At that one of the Children laughed.


Then said Christiana, What is the meaning of this? The Guide said, They talk in their Sleep. [...] For this Inchanted Ground is one of the last Refuges that the Enemy to Pilgrims has; wherefore it is, as you see, placed almost at the end of the Way, and so it standeth against us with the more advantage. For when, thinks the Enemy, will these Fools be so desirous to sit down, as when they are weary? and when so like to be weary, as when almost at their Journey's end? therefore it is I say, that the Inchanted Ground is placed so nigh to the Land Beulah, and so near the end of their Race. Wherefore let Pilgrims look to themselves, lest it happen to them as it has done to these, that, as you see, are fallen asleep, and none can wake them.
I realized that even if God were to call me to a new area of ministry (but he hadn't moved me there yet), then, no matter how much I look forward to the new things, I must still fulfill my current responsibilities faithfully, to the very end. To make sure that everything is wrapped up and completed.

Like how Jesus prayed in His prayer on the night He was betrayed: "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do." And again, his last prayer was: "It is finished."

It's so easy, when I graduate, and start working, and then maybe start a family... and then become old... would I still serve God wholeheartedly on the last day of my life? Not so much in terms of doing, but the heart remaining whole-hearted for Jesus all the way till the very last breath.

I remember reading that Mother Teresa's words, besides the rather obvious: "I can't breathe", were ... "Jesus, I love You."

How I want my last words to be like that. To be faithful to God till the very last breath. =) Or maybe to say, "Lord, I've finished the work You gave me to do." And then sleep, and awake to hear those beautiful words: "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

So, will I be faithful to serve God fully until the very end?

I remember my conviction that I wanted to serve God fully and wholeheartedly to the very last day in the uni ministry. And I'm thankful to God that He helped me do so.

I need to have that same heartbeat again in where I'm still right now - in work and in ministry.

To be faithful to the very end.

Because Jesus is faithful to us: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

No comments: