Friday, May 29, 2009

Came back from skit rehearsal for the HopeKids camp.

Hong Teck, Wan Yueh, Kelvin, Yung, Shunrong, Hannah, Joey, Deborah, Soo Feng... gosh, they're all fantastic. And they're really a great team - very cooperative and better improvisational skills than the good guys on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?". I kid you not - when Joey did the crab walk with a deadpan expression, we died of laughter... when Kelvin did a falsetto... we died again... when Hong Teck pretended to be a muscleman, we died again... Wan Yueh running around like a chicken, Deborah acting nauseatingly cute-cute, Yung acting as a cat and Shunrong as a dog, Hannah doing silly stuff... Soo Feng jumping up and down like a little girl...

But it's their cheerful and joyful attitude that touched me the most. An uncomplaining spirit - more than that - joyfully uplifting and positive! :D Wow, I learnt so much from just observing their lives.

And not just so, but also their ready willingness to do really silly things - AND laugh at themselves so much - now that's humility in action! Not a spirit of 'bo pian I have to do this for the kids?', but a spirit of excellence 'let's do this for the kids - and have fun while we're at it!

And you don't have to be young physically - everyone in the cast is a working adult... some are long married... some are recent graduates... but ultimately, all serving God with a cheerful passion.

Actually I must confess I was taking myself too seriously and being too reserved to act silly enough... but the others went ALL the way. Whoa. Result? EVERYONE laughs and rejoices!

I think that's an attitude that I can carry back into Adults ministry. Not to take myself so seriously, but to be willing to be Christ's fool. To be able to laugh at myself, when I do silly things with a holy heart and mindset. Not to think of myself more highly than I ought to, but to be willing to lower myself to bless others.

That's the way of the Kingdom, that's the way of becoming a disciple - learning to be like a little child again, that we may enter the Kingdom of God.

No comments: