Monday, May 4, 2009

After helping a sis and bro look for their handphones after lunch yesterday, I decided to stop by the church bookshop. And found this gem:



The Apprentice Leader: Learning to serve a senior leader.

It's really a God-send! :) And how timely. I am thinking and praying about how can I be a better servant and supporter to my CL, my shepherd and my ministry leaders.

Have so much to grow in, but praise God! Every time I discover a new weakness, or even yet the same weakness... it's always a new chance for me to allow God's grace to work in my life and transform it into something that reflects His perfect power, love and grace.

Anyway, there's so many nuggets in this book. It's especially great for male leaders who are working under a senior male leader. (But women leaders can also benefit a lot from the principles.) I do recommend it very much! Especially for shepherds! Hope and pray that these nuggets benefit and bless you!

From the Foreword section:
"If an apprentice leader is to reach his potential, effectively and efficiently, then some craftsmen must first invest their time, love and skill into the young man's development. It is good to give pepple and opportunity in ministry, but much better to make disciples. It is good to be able to recognize gifting, but much better to help shape it. It is good to 'succeed' in your own ministry, but much better to be vulnerable, available to mentor, empower and help the next generation to climb higher, run faster, see further and achieve more."


Introduction:
"You may be a trail blazing pioneer, full of innovative ideas and energy, but let me suggest to you that however high you think you can climb now, you will reach further than you imagined with the help of an experienced instructor."

"I have learnt countless lessons by serving a senior leader. I didn't have to do it that way, but I am grateful to God that He allowed me to be prepared for leadership by serving, observing, gradually branching out myself, making mistakes, learning and growing, steadily building spiritual muscle."


And this is really relevant to me personally:
There are clear markings in a man that make a (sic) him a leader. An artist or musician may produce fine work and by default attract a following, indirectly influencing people [...] but this is not leadership. A person may have a clear vision to accomplish some work, but unless they enthuse and inspire others, motivating them to work towards it with them, that is not leadership either.

A leader shares a common goal with those who follow him. He behaves in a manner that influences them. He has a character that can withstand difficult times as well as good, and possesses a personality that draws people to him. His authority does not need to 'shout', but most of all his anointing is recognized by those who follow him. Such skills are best learned while serving another man's ministry.


Share more while I continue reading!

No comments: