Friday, September 19, 2008

Two Lessons from Nature

I read Shuyi's latest posts, and was very blessed by what she shared. I'm simply amazed at this sister, how God has given her such big eyes to see big truths in very small things. Her childlike faith and ability to see God's lessons in the little everyday things of life is a constant source of joy and encouragement, and I'm sure not only me, but to so many people around her! :)
God makes the grass grow
Psalm 104:14-15
You cause grass to grow for the cattle.
You cause plants to grow for people to use.
You allow them to produce food from the earth -
wine to make them glad,
olive oil as lotion for their skin,
and bread to give them strength.

:)

I was very pleased when I came upon these verses. Wine to cheer me, oil for my beauty regime, bread for my daily carbohydrates.

It is a heart of thanksgiving. How often do you thank God for the Aloe Vera in your facial cream/wash that you daily put on your face? Or that cup of fruit juice or coffee you drank just now? What about that pau(bun) you ate or the cornflakes you drank with milk?

All these only possible because God first made the plants grow. Rejoice and give thanks, every time you encounter a plant product!!


What we learn from animals
In this line of Biology, killing is our business. I walk along the corridor, I see fish being killed, butterflies, crabs...

(I see the potential of this post being controversial and shocking, as there are many animal lovers out there, but don't want to hide the truth. In order to conserve and protect these animals, research that involve loss of life are often conducted.)

And...

What truely touches me was when I saw the crab being killed by ethanol. He struggled with his might to come out of the ethanol, he held on tight to the mouth of the jar with every leg and pincer he had.

Some people call this survival in evolution. Others say it's cruelty to animals.

But what I captured was this preciousness of life. Life meant everything to the crab and he struggled with every ounce of energy to retain that precious gift God gave to him.

It means a lot to me, cause sometimes I let go a bit of my life when the going gets tough. I want to slacken and not really "live" my life. Sometimes I still struggle with meaning and I see others who totally give up, whether physical life, through suicide, or spiritual life, through renouncing of faith.

Contrast this to the crab and consider.

Even crabs know it.

Your life is precious. Every life around you is too. Don't walk out the door without first knowing this in the deep recesses of your heart.

No comments: