Saturday, September 27, 2008

Just came back from Joyce's 21st birthday celebration. Wow, it was very nice. =) And got to catch up a bit with the other bros and sisters from NUS side. Even Alan our Vietnamese friend too (we got to know each other through Joyce).

Anyway, I had CG before that. *pause* It's ... a very meaningful and touching caregroup. I'm so proud of my bros and sisters in this CG - this is a WONDERFUL CG!
Thank God for Sharon, Jeannie and Shawn. Thank God for Jeannie's advice, and for Shawn's writing down prayer points for me even as I was sharing how I felt. Thank God... I was also very surprised when Sharon said that what I had shared was exactly how she felt.

Whoa...

And on my way to the birthday celebration, a thought just struck me: This is grace in action. When I am at my weakest, and most broken... then that is where the unconditional love and grace and acceptance of the Church really shines most powerfully.

It's a humbling experience to be on the receiving end of grace. Because by definition, grace is undeserved favour. People show kindness and love to you, not because you deserve it or because you've done anything good or even because of who you are... and that is quite a humbling feeling...

But hooray, that is the way that God wants our caregroups to be. A living, breathing, pulsating, moving, throbbing, flowing, smiling and loving Body... a place where we can throw off our masks and stuffy airs... where we see one another just as we REALLY are... and then love one another anyway.

Gosh. That is so powerful. And frankly, I think my non-Christian friend enjoys joining us again and again - the CG - because he, even though he hasn't said it out directly, enjoys our company. =) And it's not only because of my own friendship with him... sometimes he calls Huaqiang, sometimes he calls me... Gosh. I really do earnestly hope that one day, no matter how long it takes, he'll understand how real God's love is for him. And that even now, we the CG can be a family to him, to be always there for him, as God would have us be... a family always there - to be strong and to lean on. :D

I guess this is where Jesus really commanded us: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you too must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Not because we've gone for missions trips.
Not because we've performed top-notch in our jobs.
Not because we're the most socially relevant or intelligent people around.
Not because we've faith that can literally move mountains.
Not because we've the biggest church buildings.
Not because we've the most dynamic and exciting and spiritual caregroups.
Not because we've brought hundreds and thousands and millions to Christ.
Not because we've done miracles and raised the dead.

But because we love one another, as Christ has loved us.
The world will know whether we truly are His disciples, by how we love one another.

Hee!

Anyway, about grace... I've been thinking for a long while about it. Why does God like grace so much? I think it's not only a nice Christian thing... or even just accepting the odd-looking sister or strange-behaving brother... the hot-tempered workaholic or the lazy drunkard...

I think God loves to show grace, because it also has an incredible power to transform even the coldest of hearts like nothing else can. Because... I guess... it's when you realise that though you deserved nothing and even worse than nothing... you get so many good things, so much love, so much care, concern and acceptance... that it melts even hardened hearts full of hate. Like... the persecutor Saul, when Jesus met him directly.

Even the coldest ice has to melt before the littlest flame.

No comments: