Monday, September 8, 2008

The Joy of Spiritual Growth

Today we had a guest speaker, Ps Chua Hock Lin, from Victory Family Centre. Found his sermon very thought-provoking and meaningful, and even more wonderfully, I think God used his sermon to touch some non-Christians' hearts... they responded at the altar call. :D

So here's the notes that I wrote down for the sermon... (There's many other sermon notes that I've always wanted to post, but haven't gotten the chance to yet.)

I find this sermon especially meaningful, because I've just started reading "Coached by Christ" by Andy Peck. It's a great discipleship resource! =) So, when I saw the sermon today, whoa...

Anyway, here goes!

1. The Joy of Discipleship
Matt 4:18-20
“Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
I will cause you to be so changed that you will touch other lives.
We have only one life to live on earth, and we want to make our lives count.

The most powerful thing we can do on earth is to influence other lives for good or for evil.

Pers note: I guess, to be honest, I could die without regrets… remembering that accident in the van in Kenya. =)

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, I really want to follow You today… to let You influence me. Lord, I wanan turn the world the right way up…. so help me follow You today. In Your name I pray amen.

Thought:
Do we exalt relevance to our generation over the truth and wisdom from the previous generation?


2. Path/Progress of discipleship
Mark 3:13-15
“He appointed twelve… that they might be with him…”
To see everything Jesus did… the disciples were to be with Him.
Be it preaching, or teaching, or acts of service, or acts of compassion… the disciples saw everything!

What is the reason I was saved?
We have to be witnesses for Jesus!

When we pray, somehow the power of God is able to touch the lives of others…
God can break into the lives of the people at the right time…

a. Discipleship begins when Christ steps into a person’s life
Philippians 1:6

b. We must have logos exposure so that we can have rhema encounters.
Matt 17:1-8
Do not neglect my daily Bible exposure! :)

c. Where can we have logos exposure?
  • Christ is found in His Word - John 5:38-39
  • Christ is found through Prayer - Jeremiah 33:3 
  • Christ is found in the Church… “For where 2 or 3 are gathered in My name…”
  •   Thomas wasn’t with the other disciples when the Lord appeared to the rest… John 20
  • Christ is found in our ministry to the poor and the needy.
  • Matt 25: “For I was hungry and you gave me food…”
  • Lord… this touches me very much. Why ah?
  • Mother Teresa’s example… She ministered to the poorest of the poor.
3. Pain of Discipleship
Luke 9:23-26
“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him…”

When Christ calls a man, He calls him to die. He calls me to embrace my cross... DAILY.

Prayer: Dear Lord, please remind me, and help me, die to my sinful nature daily, and embrace the Cross, the way of the Christ…

Personal note: Whoa. Lord, I think You may be speaking to me about discipleship. Your timing is perfect. I’m reading this book abt discipleship… just started yesterday even tho I bought it a few months ago! :) Thank You Lord…

Whenever Christ gives us a tough command, it is always from a heart of love!

God is love.

If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone, the new has come!
But this must happen daily.

Open my eyes Lord…

4. Pleasure of Dscipleship
Psalm 126:5-6
Hebrews 1:8-9
“No pain, no gain.”

“Those who sow in tears
Will reap with songs of joy.
He who goes out weeping,
Carrying seed to sow,
Will return with songs of joy,
Carrying sheaves with him.”

No comments: