Friday, September 26, 2008

Just came back from shepherding with Jon. =) Feel very thankful to God for him =)

Tried something new... we went through the book "Christian Living Vol. 1" (it's an educational resource that you can find in Hope Resources). Had been thinking how to go about teaching him... but felt that maybe God was suggesting to me that it would be better and more engaging if we made it a discussion instead of a teaching.

And thank God, it was a good and fun time... Jon shared quite a lot, and actually I was v blessed by his sharing. =) "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Something I realised from the discussion is that Jon may not be a very "wordy" person (in his own words), but he can describe his thoughts and ideas much more precisely and concisely than I can do. So am learning from him too how to be more concise. :D LOL...

Anyway, I think this is an interesting and less boring way of learning together. I was thinking, the old model of giving teachings as in sitting down, the shepherd telling the sheep point by point as the sheep scribbles down... that may not be the most effective methodology, especially for discipling adults.

It might work with students, but I think... adults prefer to engage in dialectical discourse and conversational inquiry. To explore and find out the truth for themselves.

It's really fun - and challenging - to help someone experience God more... especially when it comes to teaching from God's Word. And I. am. so. in. need. of. help. :P

But this verse still pushes me on, despite my fears and inadequacies: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations... teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Hee. Especially after my first attempt two weeks ago to teach Jon something from 2 Corinthians... gosh. Just can only thank God that Jon is very patient with me, even though he jokes sometimes that he's my "guinea pig", for me to make my mistakes upon... (Sorry poor sheep... I treat you to something delicious for your birthday... Bahahaha... fresh grassssss!!!)

Thank You for ... still believing in me, dear Lord, even after You saw all my fears and past failures. In Jesus' name... amen. Thanks... again.

No comments: