Saturday, September 13, 2008

God's Guidance Will Ultimately Bring Joy :D

I've prayed and fasted regarding whether to go for the Vietnam missions trip. In short: I think God answered my prayer very clearly last night - His direction for me seems to be in the direction of Africa, rather than Vietnam, or Asia, for that matter.

I asked my CL and shepherd for their counsel, and Huaqiang asked me what was the reason I was thinking of going for another missions trip to another country in less than 6 months. Shared with him the discouragement I had felt while in Africa, and my concerns and worries, and the question of whether Africa was where God had called me to.

And he said (to paraphrase him), "People are all the same everywhere. The Vietnamese may be very hospitable and nice people, but it's their culture." How true. Missions in any country is always tough, no matter how good or kind or courteous or honorable their culture may be... ultimately, the question is how open they are to the good news of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.

Then he reminded me of how enthusiastic I was about going to Africa for the missions trip, and it seemed to him that God had moved my heart in a visibly bigger way for Africa rather than for Vietnam. And I think, deep down, it's true, 'cos I really do feel a deep sense of affection and burden for the children there.

HQ also reminded me that God has given each of us a unique sphere of influence, and for me, my sphere of influence may be with the children especially (which was confirmed at the beginning of this year).

Missions through influencing, impacting and imparting to children. Wow. The dream of this possibility thrills my heart with joy. :D

And you know, after talking with HQ at 11.30 pm last night, I felt a very strong sense of peace, joy and assurance that God was calling me to the direction of Africa. :D It replaced my earlier anxiety and feeling of uncertainty, which had filled me earlier on in the day (especially since I would have to reply by yesterday to confirm whether I was able to make it for the Vietnam trip).

"And the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Hey! I just went to the Bible Gateway website to check on this verse... and guess what? The verse for the day on the website was Philippians 4:4 - "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"

In context, that verse is part of this passage that says:
"4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
I felt a lot of great joy fill my heart, because I was so delighted to actually experience this God-touch, and also my mind was filled with delight too, because I had learnt something new and deeper about how to seek God for guidance in important decisions.

And all this ties in with the movie that was shown during Combined CG today. (An aside: The acting, I felt, was very good and humorous, although the cinematography could have been done much better in many places - amateurish feel here and there. But what the hey - the storyline was top-notch, and ultimately, it's the story, the plot, the truth that redeems this film through and through.)

There were some verses during the movie (it's a movie made by a Christian director) that spoke to me:
Psalm 37
5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.


Prov 3:5-6
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths / make your paths straight."
Thank God for how He answered my prayer for guidance and specific direction whether to go for the Vietnam missions trip or not. How He answered through the wise counsel of my care-leader Huaqiang and my shepherd Peter. And how He helped show me very clearly the specific issues and factors to consider in my reasons for going for the missions trip. (Since it's so easy for me to rationalize whatever I want to do - the heart is deceitful above all things.) But His Spirit really showed me so clearly. Whoa. Praise God indeed.

And I'm glad I shared all these insights that God gave me when I prayed, with HQ and Peter, which helped them make their wise counsel even more effective and sound. God will confirm His word... the church simply affirms what He says!

So yeah, feel glad and thankful for God's peace and assurance confirming this direction that He is calling me towards to. Like Abram of old, He will show me in due time the place He wants me to go to. But I must first of all be willing to go where HE wants me to go.

But yeah, will have to disappoint my friend who asked me for the missions trip to Vietnam. So sorry... but in any case, wherever God calls me to go, I must go, and if He calls me to stay, I'll stay. That's the important thing: to obey Him is better than all the sacrifices I can make.

It's not easy - I still have questions and concerns. But following Christ is like that - many times you don't know what in the world He's doing, but He calls to you and me today:
"Come, follow Me and I will make you fishers of men."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God plants in different people His heart for the different people groups.

I'm glad He planted in yours the heart for the Africans. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks tsl for the encouraging words! :)