Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Counting on Our Toes

Been thinking about my recent experiences (ok, over the past 2 years). Think as I realised more truths about myself, esp the dark side of me... when I realised the truths, I was set free in more and more areas. But I also realised I felt increasing resentment towards my parents for not having taught me well or equipped me with the necessary tools... in fact, some of their teachings were so off. But hmm... think it's also been learning to increase in grace as well. Grace to forgive those who didn't realise my ignorance and condemned me as a result of that, instead of building me up. (oops sounds awfully like a victim mentality... but honestly, think i've learnt to take responsibility for my own life here, with God's grace and help.)

Then it strikes me... "For the law was given thru Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

The law shows me where I fall short - it was necessary for me to realise the truths about myself... but good though the law was, it was not able to help me - instead i felt even more condemned and farther away from God.

"But where sin increased, grace increased all the more." Grace is the lifeline in the stormy seas, grace is the safety-net across the abyss, grace is the foundation that enables us to be built up in the truth. Grace is the support on which the vine can climb up on in order to bear much fruit.

Pondering further, think one effect of experiencing grace is that it brings about healing that sin wrought in me. And it helps me begin to see the good in others as well. And as I become more grateful because of the grace shown me... i become more grateful to my parents as well, for all their love, in spite of their imperfections, and to realise that it was really not easy for them to raise me up, yet they persevered.

And so i learn to count my blessings, like a little child learning to count on his fingers and, if he experiences a breakthrough beyond his ten fingers... even his toes. :)

May we learn to count on our toes more often. :)

No comments: