Friday, December 21, 2007

(Christmas) Past, Present and Future

Inspired by Kim Chun's example, I was enumerating a list of ppl I want to build/strengthen relationships with for next year. And as I was listing out, it just struck me that the groups of friends I want to build relationships with can be categorised into: Friends from the Past, Friends of the Present, and Friends Yet to Come. (Gosh! it sounds so much like Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"... so title-y)

But despite the funny titles, it's a thought-provoking observation. It's about maintaining friendships with people who are still in the NUS ministry, those in my current CG and those whom I haven't really gotten to know that well yet.

And frankly, I do have criteria in choosing whom I want to build friendships with. Yet at the same time, I have to be open to God's guidance and intervention, 'cos in the end, for all our efforts, friendship is ultimately an act of grace, a GIFT that CANNOT be earned. It can only be received, treasured, nurtured and appreciated.

That's the strange paradox of friendship. Sometimes it seems that those whom I least expected to build friendships with, are now some of my closest friends, and those whom I tried so hard, didn't respond. Can anyone identify with me on this? ;)

And yet, I found out that if you don't put in the effort to build friendships, to be more outwards-looking, you'll never reap anything. For it's in the course of trying to build friendships that ... you become the very friend that you want to become.

So one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2008 is to grow to be more sociable. I know I tend to lose contact with those friends whom I've not seen physically... for me, the old adage is true: "Out of sight, out of mind." It's a weird (and sad) thing - I treasure relationships a lot, but I am too slow to keep in touch with them, PROCRASTINATING. So I have to work extra hard to treasure and steward these friendships, which are gifts from God. Hmm!

No comments: