Monday, December 13, 2010

Becoming an Effective Servant of God: The Pursuit of Godliness

2 Timothy 2
"20 In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. 21 If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.

22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts."

This passage speaks to my heart, especially the part about youthful lusts. Recently I observe that my heart gets distracted very easily when I sit and do work/relax at places like City Hall. The reason is because of all the pretty ladies who walk past. (Yes, yes, it's nice to know that I'm straight LOL, but I realize that I expose myself to unnecessary emotional triggers that make me long unnecessarily deeply to be in a relationship.)

So, instead of needlessly exposing myself to enemy temptations, I should, as a servant of Christ, pursue the things of God. I think I can do this more effectively by going not to cafes in busy areas to relax, but to quiet places with fewer people eg parks, reservoirs or to good bookshops. (Tho i do look forward to unexpected & spontaneous meetups with friends in the more popular places!)

And of course, to fellowship with like-minded & like-hearted fellow Christians who have a strong desire for the things of God.

Yes! Let's train ourselves to become more godly. 1 Tim 4:8


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: